We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night stay - advice needed!

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
One night stay - advice needed!

Hi! I am an Australian living in London and my parents are staying with me for a week at the end of september. I would like to take them to Bath for one night from Friday to saturday, and would love some advice on where to stay and what to do? What are the must sees, and where is the best area to stay? It would be nice to just relax, maybe some walking and nice restaurants.

There are three of us and our overall budget for the accommodation would be 100-150 pounds.

Thank you in advance!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

You may find it difficult to get just one night - most hotels set a 2 night minimum at weekends,

worcester, uk
Level Contributor
437 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

try the hilton. we stayed for a friday night last year. they should do triple rooms.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

The centre of the city is quite small - less than a mile across, so any B&B in the central region will be fine. However, as indicated, many place will not do a Friday night only,a s this may mean losing trade for the Saturday. The Holiday Inn Express may oblige - that is on the edge of the centre, a 10 minute walk in.

You should definitely take your Dad to the Star Inn.......

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

As what RomanCitizen said, any B&B in the central region will be fine. I stayed one night at at Brook Guesthouse at 1 Cresent Gardens, just about 5 mins walk away from the city. Ben at the Guesthouse is a very friendly and helpful guy. And my wife enjoyed the breakfast very much. The room we stayed was rahter spacious and clean, and @ less than &100 pounds a night.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

Apart from visitng the Roman Bath, Bath Abbey, Royal Crescent. Pulteney Bridge, walking along the River Avon from the Bridge was a very relaxing and pleasant experience for us. From there, you may get on to the North Parade Road and cross the River toward the city. You may want to go th Sally Lunn's house(in betwee York St and North Parade Rd), the oldest house in Bath (as I was told), now a sort of bakery shop serving famous Bath buns. It is a nice place to take a rest from your walking and have the buns to go with a cup of tea. Milsom St and New Bond St have some Bath's elegant shop, if you want to do your shopping. Bath is a beautiful city. We enjoyed our visit there very much. Hope you have a good time there.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,973 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

If the weather is nice and you have enough time you could walk along the Kennet & Avon Canal towpath to Bathampton. There are several places where you can join the canal but if you walk along Great Pulteney Street and turn right at the end, start walking up Sydney Road (it's the road going up the steep hill) and once you get to the bridge over the canal after about 100 metres (you can't miss it!) go down the steps on the left side of the bridge.

It's a nice flat 30 to 40 minute walk that takes you through several canal tunnels alongside Sydney Gardens and then eastwards out of the city centre. It's a very picturesque walk to Bathampton and something that not many tourists (or locals!) get to see or even know about!

At Bathampton is the George Inn which is right next to the canal. They serve food here and if the weather is nice you can sit outside. If you don't fancy walking back into Bath along the towpath you can walk up to the main road on the otherside of the toll bridge (free to pedestrians!) and catch a bus back into Bath.

Edited: 12 September 2011, 12:07
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

We just stayed at the Royal Park Guesthouse on Crescent Gardens, a 5 min walk into town. Whether you can just stay on a Friday night I'm not sure but our room was lovely and the breakfast was fantastic, awash with local ingredients plus there's free parking at the rear of the building, off street.

Must see's are to walk around the town including the royal crescent and circus, visit the Roman Baths and have an afternoon tea in one of the many cafes.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

Hi there

We stauyed at the Travellodge in Bath last year. It wasn't the best I've stayed in but it was clean and perfectly okay just for the night.

Kind Regards

Merran

9. Re: One night stay - advice needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 07:16