We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from London

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Day Trip from London

Hello,

I am looking for some advice - while there are organized tours from London which includes various stops including Bath, I would like to ensure we see as much as we can in our limited 1 day in Bath. Therefore, can anyone suggest the best way to get to Bath from London, and any local Bath tours we could join to make the most of our time there?

Thanks in advance!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from London

Hi,

Yes. Just take the train! If you can book tickets several weeks up to 12 weeks in advance, you can get some good rates.

There are free walking tours around Bath (just have a look at the visit Bath website for details)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,263 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from London

As Gilliganuk says a train is easy and can be cheap if you book in advance. The only prob maybe you will want to go early which maybe comuter time, coming back should be no problem. In fact you could leave the Royal Crescent till last (if you are coming in Spring or summer) , have a meal and then get the train back late evening.

For just the one day I would be inclined to research the city and see what interests you. Roman, Georgian, fashion museum or architecture then plan yourself. It is easily walkable and you could stop to rest, eat or linger longer on something you liked.

I would concentrate on the city itself, mark on a map what you want to see and plan a route. Easy enough to do as the oldest/most famous parts are clustered together.

http://visitbath.co.uk/site/travel-and-maps

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186370-Activi…

britainexpress.com/Where_to_go_in_Britain/De…

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,518 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from London

Bath is very popular with weekend visitors, so try and avoid Saturday, when places like the Roman Baths will be heaving.

My advice is to catch as early a train as possible on a weekday, then go straight to the Pump Rooms for a coffee (if you wish) and into the Roman Baths, which are 'underneath' the Pump Rooms (you will see what I mean).

Last train back to town (London) is about 10:30 pm.

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from London

We just got back from our trip in London. We opted to take the train out of Paddington into Bath. It was super easy to do so. Once in Bath it's a breeze to get around. I don't believe you need to do a tour group for this sweet place. Now, we stayed for one night so, make sure you have a good idea of what you want to see.

I agree with RomanCitizen 100%. Grab an early train, snooze on the way. Once in Bath grab some breakfast, there are lots of cozy places to eat offering morning deals. Then head off to your "must see" spots.

Highligts for us were:

Roman Baths

The Abbey

mayor's walk (and it's free)

dinner at La Perla

Have fun! Kinda jealous as this was one of favorite places from our vacation.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from London

Info for the free walking tours; they set off from the Pump Rooms at 10.30am (daily) and 2pm (not Saturday).

http://www.bathguides.org.uk/when-where.html

6. Re: Day Trip from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:19