We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegemite in bath?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vegemite in bath?

We have been traveling in Europe ad UK for 3 months and ran out of Vegemite in the first 2 weeks! We are off to New York in a couple of days and know it's been banned in USA so we won't be able to find it anywhere.

So i have 2 questions:

1. Is there anywhere in Bath to buy Vegemite? (walking or bus distance from the centre)

2. Will it be taken from us at customs in USA?

Thanks! Enjoy your holidays everyone!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegemite in bath?

If you really can't manage without it then you'll find it at most of the usual supermarkets. I hesitate to suggest Marmite as an alternative. *gets coat*

PS. Why would they ban it in the US? Maybe the airport sniffer dogs have been trained to route out vegemite. I imagine they expect to find vegemite in aussie suitcases. Urban legend.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 15:15
London
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegemite in bath?

Vegemite is widely available in the UK, I know Tesco's stock it, if nowhere else.

But it seems there may well be issues with taking it into the US;

metro.co.uk/weird/22239-is-america-at-war-wi…

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegemite in bath?

Really not worth buying any now if it is going to be confiscated when you arrive in New York. It is classed as a vegetable product and as such is not allowed into the US. You really don't want to attract the attention of the TSA gestapo so I'd leave it if I were you

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegemite in bath?

That's a v.misleading thread title - I thought it was some Aussie alternative to bubblebath.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegemite in bath?

Indeed, I had a mind boggling and rather awful mental picture there !!

Anyway, Vegemite is NOT banned in the USA, it simply wasn't allowed to be taken in hand luggage in one particular newsworthy incident, so whilst you can find it there in many stores*, just buy some here and take it in your checked luggage.

Bed and Beyond maybe :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegemite in bath?

Both Tesco and Sainsburys stock Vegemite here in the UK, but it will be taken from you by US customs on arrival due to the yeast and folic acid content :-(

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegemite in bath?

it will be taken from you by US customs on arrival due to the yeast and folic acid content :-(

----------------------------------

Urban myth. www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp

And on sale from amazon.com in the USA right now amazon.com/Kraft-Vegemite-400g-Jar/product-r…

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegemite in bath?

On a practical point I am 99% certain it is stocked in Bath Waitrose at the Podium shopping centre. This is very close to most of the "must-see" sights near Pulteney Bridge and a short walk from Bath Abbey.

It is probably best to ask a member of staff but I think it will be at the north end of the store (far end of the rows of checkouts if you are in the veg section) near the customer service desk and just round the corner from the jam/jelly etc.

Online price is £2.11 for 220g.

Hope you'll give Marmite a go whilst you are over here.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegemite in bath?

To reassure you the Marmite we have here is nothing like the travesty of an imitation you get in Oz unless you buy it as an import. Main difference is there is malt/more malt in vegemite so it's a bit sweeter and a bit thicker.

Vegemite seems to becoming a little more widespread. Certainly the larger branches of Tesco and Sainsbury have it - and I saw it in Morrisons for the first time the other day

£1.98 for 220g seems standard. usually in the same general area as jam/jelly, honey, etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegemite in bath?

Vegemite was banned from USA because it contains folate - no idea what they think is wrong with folate! Our prime minister got stopped at the border with vegemite but eventually got through.

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I will hae a look in waitrose and tescos but I think we might just have to survive without vegemite for the next 6 weeks! maybe we could take Marmite instead. Although surely it would be similar in folate content!

Haha sorry for the confusing (amusing) title!

Edited: 11 October 2011, 01:55