We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath antiques centers

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bath antiques centers

We like to shop at antique stores while on vacation. What is your opinion of the Old Bank Antiques Center, Bartlett Street Antiques Center and Assembly Antiques Center? Do they have high-end expensive antiques like you’d find for sale at Sotheby’s or the kind of stuff that people throw out when they are cleaning closets or something in between?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
28,283 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath antiques centers

I am afraid I can't tell you but your description made me laugh. Spot on.

I would imagin if they are reasonably near the city centre then they would be good quality but because of the location and city - pricey. If they are out in the suburbs then a real mixture.

The new word for the throw out stuff is 'Reclamation'.......

Are there any good auction houses opperating while you are there? That's the best place. There should be some good stuff as it is an expensive city & classy people live there.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath antiques centers

What sort of thing are you hoping to buy?

Most of the places you list have a quirky group of tenants (some doing china, some doing jewellery, some doing furniture, some doing bits bought cheaply in France). From memory, the vast majority of items on sale is about 100 years or less old.

If you are after books or prints there are probably better places to shop.

None of the places are remotely stuffy.

PS: if you venture out to Old Bank Antiques Centre, I can recommend the King Bill/William pub for lunch.

Michigan
Level Contributor
94 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath antiques centers

I like china, pottery, bits of jewelry so I may give the places a try, especially if we have a rainy day. My husband likes military paraphernalia. We both love books and prints and I've started looking on-line for those places.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,737 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath antiques centers

You'd love the flea market at the Tram shed - whoops, hang on, they've turned it into yuppy flats and that awful Ha Ha Bar and Canteen :'-(

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath antiques centers

Hi

It sounds as if Bartlett St and Old Bank antiques will suit you fine.

Being my usual dense self, I completely forgot about George Bayntun's on Manvers St (just up from the train station). A real time warp. Their prints are more affordable than the books. I'd love to have a book bound by them.

Another book seller is based up in St Margarets Buildings; their stuff is far more affordable.

There is still a flea market at the bottom of Walcot St every Saturday next to the HIlton (I think it starts closing mid-afternoon).

Another time-warp of a place (but not antiques) is the AH Hale pharmacy on Argyle St.

Finally, but it's not a place that gets mentioned here very often, you might enjoy a visit to the Museum of Bath at Work

http://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/

6. Re: Bath antiques centers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:17