We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foot Trails not good experience

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Foot Trails not good experience

If you don't mind getting lost or frustrated with trail distance estimates Alison Howell Foot Trails is for you. We did 4 days on a customized walking tour in Dorset, Somerset & Wiltshire. The Inns & food were fabulous, but the trail directions were sometimes difficult to follow - making for a trying experience. Luckily we had good weather the 1st wk of Sept. You need excellent map-reading skills and lots of patience to do this hiking on your own. We thought we liked a challenge, but the trail notes need to be re-written to be user friendly. No wonder they also offer Guided trips. Also lots of sheep dung to walk through. Did enjoy Old Wardour castle, and seeing villages, ie. Teffont Evias.

Mentioned in this post
Dorset
Dorset
England, UK
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
Wiltshire
Wiltshire
England, UK
Old Wardour Castle
Old Wardour Castle
272 Reviews
Tisbury, UK
Foot Trails
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Savouring Bath
Walking Tours, Coffee & Tea Tours, Food Tours, City Tours
Strictly Jane Austen Tours
Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Private Tours
Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Foot Trails not good experience

Must be those stupid Somerset yokel sheep, we've potty trained the ones in Essex. Hell of a job getting them to wipe after though.

Mentioned in this post
Essex
Essex
England, UK
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Foot Trails not good experience

Foot Trails sounds absolutely terrific from what the poster's telling us. Seem to do everything anyone could possibly want from a walking holiday company.

But tell me. Do Indiana sheep really spend their whole lives with their legs crossed? Has anyone told PETA?

South Wiltshire
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Foot Trails not good experience

Hello my name is Alison Howell and I am the founder of Foot Trails. I would like to respond myself to the person (I'm afraid I don't know your name?) who wrote the comments in November (and also other similar comments on different dates) about your walking holiday on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your trip. It is a great shame that I have not received any feedback from you personally which I have been able to respond too. It seems from your email that you didn't enjoy finding your routes on your trip. We have been organising walking holidays in South West England for a decade and helped many thousands of people discover and explore it on foot from all over the UK and around the world. For many of our guests Foot Trails is their first experience of an organised walking holiday, other guests have taken walking holidays before.

I think it is true that a mild desire to take an adventure helps, however our trips are not challenging. They are in in rural England so beautiful countryside, paths and tracks and sometimes farm animals, however we work very hard to make the trips enjoyable and to make it easy for guests to find their way.

To help guests there are two ways to find your way. One is by map reading and we do provide proper Ordnance survey maps with the routes annotated clearly. The other way is through our own waterproof trail cards which provide step by step easy to follow directions (all tried and tested) and many guests use these alone to find their way successfully.

All our walks and routes are based on our local knowledge and regularly walked by our guests and our own expert guide.

If our guests do feel uncertain about which way to go we have an on call support service. All our guest are given our guide's mobile phone number - someone to call and speak too daily from 9am to 6pm, though in practice we don't receive many calls from this service. Usually help with a taxi booking.

I am really sorry you didn't enjoy your experience, regards Alison Howell

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
South Wiltshire
5 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Foot Trails not good experience

Dear guest, if you would like to please contact me personally via our website I would be please to respond to you directly.

Regards, Alison Howell

15. Re: Foot Trails not good experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:41