We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a 4 day trip down from Edinburgh to visit the Beaulieu (National Motor Museum and Stately houses near Southampton) and then are planning to visiting Salisbury, Stonehenge, and Bath.

Day 1 Beaulieu during the day, Salisbury overnight

Day 2 Salisbury and trip to Stonehenge, Bath overnight

Day 3 Bath

Day 4 Bath, fly back to Edinburgh via Bristol

I am wondering whether I should spend 2 or 3 nights in Bath. Either 2 nights and we fly out of Bristol at 7 pm, which means we would have 1.5 days in Bath. Or we would fly out Day 5 and have 2 full days in Bath.

Do we need the full 2 days to get the Bath experience? We definitely want to go to the thermal spa during the visit.

We are just starting planning and its already next month so getting sorta nervous about finding good accommodation in Bath and Salisbury.

Thanks for any advice!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

If you stay involves a weekend then you might discover that it is usually easier to find places to stay in Bath if you are willing to book for 2 nights.

Will you have a car? That will make a huge difference.

The answer rather depends on what you both enjoy doing.

Or perhaps you would prefer

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,302 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

I would stay at least 2 days. If you want to have a spa treatment and a look round the baths you don't want to rush that, chill and enjoy a coffee/lunch. Quite a chunk of day. There are lots of museums depending on your interest and an amazing area to look round at the buildings, Royal Crescent, Pump Rooms etc. http://visitbath.co.uk/things-to-do

The American Museum is interesting too. If you can persuade your husband the shops are good , a lot of small individual ones.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

Thanks for the tips, unfortunately we are going to have to do Bath in 1.5 days.

Monday arrive early evening in Bath- walk around town and have dinner

Tuesday- Roman Baths in the morning

do a hop on hop off bus to see the other sites (circus, assembly rooms, fashion museum, abbey, royal crescent)

afternoon tea (possibly pump room?)

2 hour thermal spa session

Dinner

Wednesday- visit any sites we didn't see the day before, Lunch, leave Bath by 4pm

Is this doable? Would you change around anything? Where is the best place for afternoon tea? And is that is a good time to do the thermal spa?

Cheers!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

forgot to say, we will not have a car. also, not as interested in shopping, just to see the sights of bath and enjoy the thermal baths.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

Another possibility is to take out the afternoon tea and to go to the thermal spa so we have enough time there. Maybe get a bite to eat and have a treatment.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

Hi

The centre of Bath really is compact. Unless you find walking difficult I wouldn't bother with the HoHo Bath if you just want to see the central sights. The Royal Crescent/Circus/Assembly Rooms can't be more than about 15 minutes' walk away from the Roman Baths/Pump Room and Abbey.

I'd use the money saved by not taking the bus and blow it on a cream tea in the Pump Room!

We tend to go to the Thermae Spa at dusk (so you get the daytime and nighttime views) and I doubt if it will be very busy at any point on a Tuesday in March.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

How are they getting to Beaulieu? It's difficult without a car. (I've done it - taxi one way and scrounged a lift the other)

Edited: 10 February 2012, 13:57
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

sueduncBATH- Thanks for the tip about the HoHo, maybe we'll skip that...we are mobile :). I have just seen a lot of reviews on here so I thought it was worth it. I like the idea of going to the spa at dusk, I was thinking the views would be nice then. Good to know it won't be busy, we booked our trip mid week for that purpose.

dzug1- we are taking a train from Southampton to brockenhurst and then a taxi (on the Beaulieu's website they recommended that approach). Unfortunately the taxi will be 20 pounds each way, but we don't have a car and I don't think there is a bus.

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

There is an ordinary bus to Beaulieu but it only runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and only from Lymington - see wdbus.co.uk/site/uploads/publications/307.pdf .

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 11 February 2012, 12:03
10. Re: Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge trip in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 10:20