We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour of Bath Museum

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour of Bath Museum

We are four older person planning a trip to England next Spring. We would like to visit the Roman Bath Museum and wonder how long the tour is and if there is extensive walking with our a chance to rest.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

Maybe I did not make my question seem important. One of us is 82, one 78, the third is a young 68 but does have to use oxygen sometimes. The 4th is 48 and can do anything. Three of us cannot climb stairs due to heart conditions. Under these circumstances, it is very difficult to plan a trip to England. Most of the Interesting hotels and lodgings are in older buildings without lifts or bathrooms with bathing facilities that are easy to get in and out. We will be going to Stonehenge whether or not we come to Bath, as we will be spending most of our time in Devon and Dorset (Axminster is our ancestral home.) We will be making a circuit from London to Scotland and then back down through Wales to Lyme Regis. Whether or not we stop at Bath would depend on whether we could make the tour of the Roman Bath Museum ro some equally interesting site that may meet our needs.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

Hi, This page should answer your question about the Roman Baths access wise: romanbaths.co.uk/visiting/accessibility_info… buit if you want another museum, please can you let us know which one as there seem to be a lot of them, and it's hard to give you details generally unless there is a specific one.

In regards to general access, you should be Ok around Bath, park and ride is wheelchair accessible, some of the disabled toilets might be radar key locked so you may need a radar key from somewhere like the Town Hall, or the Tourist Information Centre. I think their price is around £2.50-£3.00 but proof of disabiltiy may well be needed. There are a few resturants in Bath you may struggle with access with, but the place is large so you shouldn't hae a real problem. I will add there are quite a few low floor buses on the city sightseeing tour as well, so you may want to consider that to.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

Some of the other sights in Bath, such as the Royal Crescent and Circus, are and up-hill walk so you might want to consider one of the tour buses which have easy access.

city-sightseeing.com/tours/united-kingdom/ba…

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

How are you getting to Bath? If you are driving I think it would be best for you to park at Southgate or Manvers St carparks.

I'm not sure whether it would help your group, but it is possible to rent mobility aids by the hour in Bath: bathnes.gov.uk/leisureandculture/tourismandt…

At the Roman Baths, you are given handsets to do a self-guided tour (with a choice of language and commentary). There are a few guided tours, but you would need to check for details. Personally I think you'd be better off with the handsets going at your own pace, by the sounds of things.

Much work has been done in recent years to make the Roman Baths accessible but there are quite a few short flights of steps to take you over the ruins. There are a couple of lifts and their website blurb states this gives wheelchair users access to 70% of the site. There always seem to be plenty of staff around so I am sure they could direct you on a suitable route. I've certainly noticed people sitting in the museum. I think there is seating in most rooms, but perhaps not in a group of 4.

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

Thank you both for your help. We would be arriving by car. We will be taking a car trip from London to Holmfirth (we love "Last of the Summer Wine) then on the Edenbourgh, down trough Wales and eventually to Lyme Regis. Axminster is our ancestral home and we will be spending several days in the area. We are trying to determine which places from among the many wonderful sites in the area, i.e. Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Glastonbury , etc. to visit. The determining factors will be the least amount of walking and stair climbing along with the possibility of drive-by viewing. We are weighing the closer areas as opposed to a drive to Cornwall and the coast there. Thanks again for your help

Charles Town WV
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

Thanks everyone for you kind and quick responses. I have enough information to keep me busy for awhile. I think it is possible for us to make a visit there. Have a nice day.

7. Re: Tour of Bath Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:17