We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth
Level Contributor
392 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Coming to Bath with my dog. Can anyone recommend somewhere we can get lunch with a dog. Nice pub somewhere central or even somewhere to grab breakfast. It will be November so eating outside may not be practical.

Also a nice place to drink in the evening that is pet friendly.

I think we are going to stay at Abbey Hotel (hopefully the refurbishment will have finished by November). Unless anyone can recommend anywhere else to stay with a dog whivh is central.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

The Star is the best pub in the West of England, a proper pub where men go to have good conversation and drink good beer, and women are welcome as long as they keep quiet and stand their round :)

No problem with your dog, and if it is cold there will be a fire. No food, though.

http://www.star-inn-bath.co.uk/

The Bell in Walcot St (only 300 yards from the Star, also has a fire (though I think it is gas) and serves good beer, though you might find it a bit bohemian.

Somewhere like the Hop Pole might allow the dog in for lunch - speaking as the owner of 2 dogs I don't like dogs in a place where I am eating, a sentiment shared by many friends in Bath.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 08:13
Corsham
Level Contributor
20 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

The Hall and Woodhouse bar (in the former Sothebys building behind Jolleys, sorry can't remember the name of the street) serves food and drink and is also dog friendly (which surpises and pleases me in equal measure as an avid Border Collie fan). Quite a pleasant place to while away an hour or two, and a very different kettle of fish to the Star and Bell (which are both excellent places and outstanding examples of proper pubs).

Have a feeling we've been to TheHop Pole with Roxy (aforementioned Border Collie) but can't remember whether we ate in, or outside in the delightful garden).

Whatever you do, don't attempt to take a dog with you to Browns, even when sitting outside! Not that I'd suggest you might want to go there anyway.

Solo Pizza in Shire's Yard has some outside tables with patio heaters above them, so that's another option.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 12:13
Plymouth
Level Contributor
392 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Brilliant thanks Mike those suggestions are really helpful. The Hall & Woodhouse Bar looks good from their website.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Mrsbee

I am sure this is the wrong thread of yours but I spotted a couple of dogs under the tables in the White Hart (Widcombe) this weekend when we had lunch.

Shropshire, England
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

When we visit we have had fantastic food at the Bear, out towards Bloomfield Road, and the Marlborough Tavern (at the back of the Royal Crescent) is amazing. Both are dog friendly for well behaved dogs, and I would definately recommend them.

bath
Level Contributor
5 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Highly recommend the Hop Pole, they allow dogs, excellent food & drink plus great staff.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

The Star is HORRID! Dark, dingy, full of old men and hardly any young people of women! In dire need of refurbishment and smelly!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

The bell has REAL fires. As for your comment you do not like dogs where you are eating??? You own two dogs you said?! You are clearly NOT a dog lover or dog friendly! Personally I don't like dirty kids with snotty noses and sticky hands where I am eating! Esp since my dog is cleaner and smells much better than most kids! Why does Britain make dog owners suffer, and the places that do allow dogs make it known they must be well behaved? If I had £1 for everytime I have had to sit through a meal trying to cope with badly behaved children in the background, running cirles around peoples tables, screaming and flicking food or even adults being VERY noisy and badly behaved.... I'd be rich by now!

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Any update since as we're takind dog to Bath next week ?

Corsham
Level Contributor
20 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog Friendly Pubs/Eating Places

Nothing to add from me, other than to say that I like the Star even if Rosalee R doesn't! Each to their own.