We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Lunch

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Lunch

I would certainly appreciate it if someone could assist me finding a nice place to eat a hearty Christmas Lunch in Bath. A nice carvery for a family of four. Price is a factor, I can only go to £30 a head. Sure there must be a NICE Pub with a carvery etc. My daughter is a student in Bath and we are joining her as she has to work.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
435 reviews
from US$98.70*
Special Offer
Inner Circle Access of Stonehenge...
831 reviews
from US$161.83*
US$190.40
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Lunch

I know that many restaurants are closed on Xmas day - and those that are open will want more than £30, unfortunately (the Allium wants £85, for example).

Pubs will tend to be open for drinks only (we only have NICE pubs in Bath, btw:) I will make some enquiries in hostelries I frequent.

In the meantime you could try calling some of these

Marlborough Tavern 01225 423731

The Chequers 01225 360017

The Hop Pole 01225 446327

The Curfew 01225 313747

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,837 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Lunch

You could also try the:

Crystal Palace 01225 482666 (the link to their website doesn't appear to work)

Garricks Head http://www.garricksheadpub.com/

The Bear (not in the city centre though) http://www.bearbath.co.uk/index.php

The Royal Oak (Widcombe) http://royaloakbath.co.uk/#

None of the pubs mentioned have a "carvery" where you can keep going back for more veg etc.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Lunch

Many thanks for your kind and informative reply. Have tried all and still no joy. Will keep trying. Tried the Garricks, The Bear.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Lunch

Pubs don't tend to do Carverys round here (well I've not noticed one in a good few years). I'll keep thinking, but the Globe at Newton St Loe (so near Bath Spa uni) is doing Christmas lunch for just under £50 (children much cheaper).

Will you have a car?

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Lunch

You are so very kind for your reply. Yes we will. Daughter at University there. Thanks so much. That the prices are what they are. Christmas.

Bath, United Kingdom
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Lunch

Not sure if there will be any availability, but this is a great pub and they are doing 3 courses for £22.50

bathales.com/our-pubs/…

Always very well fed there. Good luck!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Lunch

If Bath Ales pubs are doing food, you ought to have a great meal. It is worth double-checking but the online menu says "Our Christmas menu is available from 1 December to 15 January (but not on 25, 26 and 31 December or 1 January)". It MIGHT mean that they are doing a special Christmas Day meal, but I doubt it.

IT ISN"T a roast, but I think the Mint Room is open for Indian Cuisine themintroom.co.uk/the_mint_room_christmas_me…

That said the "We are open..." on the menu might be a typo. My husband and I had a great meal there this weekend. There are some unusual dishes on the menu, nicely presented so I suspect their Christmas menu would be worth a try.

If you are feeling virtuous (and you could get to eat a trad roast too), Bath Churches coordinate a Christmas lunch for the elderly and people who would otherwise be alone. www.bathchurches.org.uk/openchristmas.htm

Otherwise I found, and rejected because of price, The Mill at Bathampton and Brasserie Blanc.

Bristol is only about 20 minutes' drive away on Christmas Day so I wonder if it is worth posing the question there?

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Lunch

Thanks for your advice. Bristol sounds llike the best option. Will start checking on reservations etc. The Mint Room is great, had a meal there before. Just don't want curry on Christmas Day. Any other day, as I am a Curry lover. So, thanks for your help.

Bury St Edmunds...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Lunch

Family want to stay in Bath for Christmas Day. Still looking.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,837 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Lunch

So is it definately a "carvery" type place you want?

I had a bit of a google and came up with the following:

The Weston on Newbridge Road (about 1.5 miles from the centre) http://www.westonbath.com/

The definately do a Xmas Carvery: www.westonbath.com/CHRISTMASDAYMENU2012.pdf but I would book asap.

£60 though is taking the P*** !

Or there's a Hungry Horse place in Chippenham hungryhorse.co.uk/index.php/pub-finder/detai…

Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations