We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Bath

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train to Bath

I've booked my accomodation for stay fr 7-9 June.

Do I need to book my train tickets in advance now and which operator should I be booking from for the cheapest available ticket?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Bath

No - don't book now. Even if you can find a site that will sell to you you will be paying full price and won't get a seat reservation

Book when the cheap advance fares appear - probably in a couple of weeks time.

Any train operator will do for this route - they all sell exactly the same tickets at exactly the same price. Choose one that won't charge a fee.

First Great Western actually run the route

South West trains run a secondary route that is much slower and sometimes cheaper - and also megatrain have seats on this secondary route if you really want cheap. Their tickets won't be out until mid to late April

Edited: 09 March 2013, 09:21
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Bath

Hi,

Where and when latest must I collect my tickets if I Am travelling from paddington to Bath on 5th June.

We will only be reaching London on 5th June noon itself.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Bath

You can collect your tickets at Paddington 5 minutes before the train leaves - though I'd allow longer than that as there may be a queue for the machine and they don't work superfast

If you are arriving at Heathrow there are better ways of making the journey that don't involve Paddington.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Bath

The tickets are now on sale (just been buying some advance fares myself).

I would go to www.fgw.co.uk and snap up the cheap seats asap.

Dublin
Level Contributor
130 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to Bath

Is there a set time for when the advance tickets are available.. and how long do they last? until a quota at that price is sold?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to Bath

No, they are sold in price bands, with a quota for each band. The cheapest fares are sold first, and once each band is sold out, that's it.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to Bath

If there are any left you can buy them up to 1800 (midnight with some companies) the day before.

Certainly cheap tickets Paddington to Bath are still on sale for tomorrow. Not the cheapest band, but cheaper than walkon

Edited: 24 March 2013, 10:22
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to Bath

What is the better way to get to Bath from Heathrow.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train to Bath

Bus (coach) - direct from Heathrow to Bath

nationalexpress.com/assets/…403.pdf

If you arrive at terminal 4 or 5 you will need to make your way to the Central Bus station at terminals 1/3

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train to Bath

That depends on when you arrive - the buses are not that reular, so you may have a wait.

Another way is to get the bus to Reading, then train to Bath - this will be quickest even if you manage to catch a National Express bus quite quickly.

http://www.railair.com/

It really depends on what you mean by 'best'. Cheapest ? quickest ?