We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions please!

Milton, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions please!

My husband, daughter (13) and I will be arriving in Bath via National Express coach from Heathrow at the end of the month. We will be staying two nights before renting a car and heading up through the Cotswolds to our next destination of Stratford Upon Avon. I would appreciate any suggestions on things to do in Bath as well as not to miss towns or sights on our way to SUA. I know the Bath Int'l Music Festival will be going on while we're there ... has anyone experienced it before? Thank you!

Bath and Stonehenge Tour from London
26 reviews
from US$101.50*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip
207 reviews
from US$66.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Full-Day Bath and Stonehenge Tour...
2 reviews
from US$77.60*
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

You cannot be called a Cithity if u do not have a Cathedral - see their football team - Bath City !

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

We really loved the free city tour (given by volunteers). It is fabulous and informative on of our favorite parts of our visit. The Roman Baths are also not to be missed. There are also some lovely gardens and parks all over the city and a free botanical garden. It is just a gorgeous city to roam. They have a Jamie's Italian there which we enjoy the food- plus tons of other amazing restaurants, but reservations in Bath are a must, and Jamie's let us in without one. We loved our stay at Badminton Villa if you haven't already chosen somewhere to stay. Have fun!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,880 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

No, not Mr Pedantic, Mr Accurate. I have lived in Bath for 40 years, so know a bit about the city. If you bothered to read up a bit about the place, you would know that it is the See of Bath and Wells.

In 1090 the Bishopric was transferred to Bath from Wells, largely for financial reasons (no surprise there, then).

The cathedral of the See is now solely at Wells - Bath Abbey is in fact simply a large parish church, though used by the citizens as a general purpose church - memorial services for notable citizens are held there, for example.

And where, pray, is Brighton cathedral ?

Bath
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

It is technically a Cathedral its full name being The Cathedral Church of SS Peter and Paul. However it is always known as Bath Abbey and never Bath Cathedral even in guide books etc. As well as services the Abbey is open to the public to look around for a donation of £2.50 I believe. It is well worth a visit and popular with tourists from all over the world. For an extra cost there is also the Tower tours where you can climb to the top and on a clear day gives fantastic views all over the city. See the Bath Abbey website for further information

Bath
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

I would also suggest a trip to Bath would not be complete without a visit to the Roman Baths and Pump Rooms. Its right next to The Abbey so you could do both if you wish

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

I suggest that you acquaint yourselves with the Real Italian Ice Cream shop in York St (the pizzas next door aren't bad either!). The Roman Baths and Abbey (the cathedral was falling apart by about 1500 and is long gone). The Abbey is nice enough (great for music concerts if there are any on) but do pay to do the tower tour if you are interested in architecture (it is fun to look down on Bath's disorderly rooftops).

Not exactly a "must see", but your daughter might enjoy the Costume Museum in the Assembly Rooms (they have some costumes you can all try on too) and number 1 Royal Crescent if you would like to understand how wealthy Georgians lived.

If you have a good sense of humour you might enjoy Bizarre Bath. http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/

I'm sure it must have been running for 15 years or so. We went through a phase of taking houseguests on it and they all enjoyed it (though Noel does have a habit on selecting a few foreign tourists to joke with).

Alongside the "Bath International Festival", there is also the Fringe festival http://www.bathfringe.co.uk/

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,368 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

Actually it is possible to attain City Status without a Cathedral. That link was broken in 1889 when Birmingham successfully petitioned for City Status on grounds of its size and coherent local government, followed by Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, (Kingston-upon-) Hull and Nottingham by 1900. Birmingham Cathedral only came into existence as such in 1905 - previously it had been the Parish Church.

More about City Status here:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/City_status_in_the_Unite…

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

Literally - check Bath Tourism Centre xx

Bath
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

Actually it's a myth that you have to have a Cathedral to be a city. Bath got it's city status from Elizabeth 1 and indeed has an abbey and not a cathedral - though I doubt that it would cause much confusion in practice :)

Consider doing the free Mayor's guide walking tour which leaves from outside the pump rooms in font of the abbey at 10:30 every day or 2:00 every day apart from Saturday. There will be some evening walks during the summer also though you would need to check days and times with tourist info. No need to book - just turn up.

Enjoy!

Bath
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Itinerary suggestions please!

Actually it's a myth that you have to have a Cathedral to be a city. Bath got it's city status from Elizabeth 1 and indeed has an abbey and not a cathedral - though I doubt that it would cause much confusion in practice :)

Consider doing the free Mayor's guide walking tour which leaves from outside the pump rooms in font of the abbey at 10:30 every day or 2:00 every day apart from Saturday. There will be some evening walks during the summer also though you would need to check days and times with tourist info. No need to book - just turn up.

Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations