We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling to Bath by car

Broadbeach...
4 posts
Save Topic
travelling to Bath by car

I would like information on the best route from Ashford/Sittingbourne to bath by car. I would like to know where to park my rental car in bath as I am staying in the city. The courtyard apartments which has no parking. If I parked the rental in public parking how safe would it be?

Thank you

Louiserodney

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,681 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling to Bath by car

Will you need a car whilst in Bath ? if not I would hire from a chain with a Bath office and dump it - you can always pick up another if needed when you leave.

Another idea is to do the trip by train.

Let us know if you are insistent on using a car and we will come back with a route.

The Courtyard Apartments should be able to help with parking, they must get that question regularly.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling to Bath by car

www.thecourtyardapartments.co.uk/findus.html

Gives you directions to get to Bath, directions to the various e car parks around town and directions from the car parks to the apartment.

Luckily I live close enough to the centre of town to not need to ever use a car park. Manvers Street car park is your closest. It is next door to the police station. Charges for some of the car parks the apartments you suggest mention are here:

bathnes.gov.uk/services/…bath-car-parks

To get to Manvers St, drive around the A36 (Resist the urge to navigate central Bath) to North Parade. Drive along this road (over the river) and turn left at the traffic lights..the car park is just after the little black and white taxi hut. Invariably traffic crawls along this road so don't worry about travelling slowly.

I WOULD NOT attempt to drive your car to Abbey Green to unload.

Usual common sense applies when parking a car in a big city. Don't leave sat-nav, loose change, piles of clothes (which might indicate you are hiding stuff worth liberating) on view.

Re getting there from Sittingbourne, did you want to make a day of it or were you after a fast journey?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling to Bath by car

I've just looked up the train for a journey mid morning in June and the journey seems to take 3 1/4 hours (tube from St Pancras to Paddington) and cost from £16.50 mid-morning from Ashford Int.

Typing this mid morning (rainy) Google maps tells me the journey is 177 miles and about 3 hours of driving along the M4 in theory, but 3-3.5 in current conditions.

Personally I would ditch the car in Kent and get another one when you are ready to use it to tour outside Bath.

Broadbeach...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling to Bath by car

Thank you the information is a great help we are driving to bath and dropping off the rental car at bath.

Thanks

Louise Rodd

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling to Bath by car

Louise, if you'll pardon me for saying so, I think that you ought to take the train, as outlined by sueduncBATH.

Here's why.

If you take the car to Bath, you will spend £25 in petrol--more than a train ticket. It will also take more time than taking the train. Far more than google maps will show you.

Once you have returned the car at the rental company outside Bath, how will you get to your lodgings? Taxi?

Really I think it might be simpler to take the train and just arrive in Bath.

6. Re: travelling to Bath by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 07:36