We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Hi there,

We will be driving to Bath from Warwick on a Friday in August. Plan on arriving to Bath by 10/11am to walk along River Avon and also hopefully check out royal Victoria park, pulteney bridge, parade gardens, and walk along Bath st. We will need to leave about 4pm to go to Stonehenge aiming to arrive there about 6:15 so we can see it before it closes. Then head to Salisbury to spend the night.

My question is that I have heard it is very difficult to park in Bath and it's recommended to park outside and ride a bus in. However, since we are so limited in time I was hoping to get more time in Bath and found a parking spot I can rent from a resident close to downtown just south of river Avon. Or there is a big parking lot in southgate shopping center. But wondering if this will take more time than doing the park and ride due to being stuck in traffic just to get to the parking spot. I am leaning toward the private parking spot to rent as then I am guaranteed a spot.

Thank you for your advice.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

I think most of the warnings about Bath come about because many non Brits seem to think that driving round the place for sightseeing is a good idea. You are going to be there early, on a non weekend, you'll have no issues parking at that time in the morning wherever you choose and you have tons of time to get out in the evening. I'd probably go for the drive just as its cheaper but either would be fine, I would try to get there closer to 10 than 11 though. Midday it gets busy.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Thank you so much! I just booked the private parking space. If anyone else wants to know I found it on parkatmyhouse.com. Cost me 5 pounds for the day.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Park and Ride would have cost each of you £3.20. Hopefully it is/was a smart move.

It is worth spending 10 minutes using a route planner to see if there are any short cuts to get down to the A36 at Limpley Stoke or something. T he A36 in the centre of town can be a bit slow.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,644 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

What street is the house on ? we may be able to help with a shortcut to the A36.

Interested that you plan to 'walk along the river Avon'. That is not something most residents would recommend, the river is (sadly) not a feature of Bath. btw Avon is an ancient word meaning river.: so it is the river river.

And Bath St is about 100 yards long, so that won't take long.

I would try and visit the Roman Baths, allowing 90 minutes.

It should take no longer than 75 minutes to get to Stonehenge, it is only about 40 miles.

Once you reach the end of the Warminster bypass, after about 1.5 miles take the B390 towards Chitterne, then continue on to Shrewton. As you approach Shrewton, turn right on to the A360, which will take you straight to Stonehenge.

This is a far more scenic route than using the A36 all the way, it takes you across Salisbury Plain, one of the largest open spaces in southern England.

After you turn on to the B390, after about a mile you will see a village on the horizon over to the the left: this is Imber. In 1943 the residents were forced to move out so that the village could be used for training troops for the invasion of Normandy (D-Day). The residents are still waiting to go back: of course I am not going to suggest for one moment that this story implies that you cannot trust the government.....

Edited: 26 July 2013, 06:30
bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Thank you very much for your offers to help!

I paid 5 pounds for the spot which now sounds like a great deal. I had thought I read previously the park and ride was free but decided the extra 5 pounds cost was worth the convenience. Now hearing it would have cost more to park and ride am happy with my decision.

Help with avoiding traffic getting there would be much appreciated! I will be coming from warwick and parking on Lyncombe Hill which is just south of the station she said. Mapquest shows me to take either the M5 or A429. A429 is shorter, is it more scenic? If I do take 429 it says I will turn onto A46 to london rd to A36. Should I do something else to avoid A36?

What about when we leave In the afternoon to head to Stonehenge? Do you have best way to go? Is the way you recommended roman citizen the best way from the address I gave? From mapquest it looks like it is.

Also, thank you Roman citizen for your fun history and recommendations! I had picked walking the river Avon from something I read somewhere recommending it. Forgot where now as I've been planning this trip for months! But now looking at pics I see what you mean so guess we will skip!

I was planning on skipping the Roman baths (even tho I understand this is th "highlight" of Bath since I saw pictures of it and it seems so expensive to get in and just not worth it. Don't think my 2 kids would enjoy it so decide to just skip and spend our limited time admiring the scenery/architecture of buildings and maybe relax in a park and soak it all in. Do you really think I am missing out by not going?

Regarding driving thru the plain, I found a route thru Imber and it takes an extra 20 minutes so if we have time will do that one. Sure it is beautiful. My mum and I are really looking forward to driving thru the english countryside. We are driving from northallerton to Lake District to warwick then bath then Salisbury. It will be beautiful!

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Also, you have been so helpful, can I ask another question? I read earlier they were doing alot of changes to Stonehenge and it will take longer to get to actually see Stonehenge...needing to park further away, take shuttle then see visitor center before getting in to actually Stonehenge. Has this all happened yet? Hoping we can just park, walk to Stonehenge, pay and go in. Hoping not so we can just allot 45 mins or so to see it.

Thank you!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

All those changes at Stonehenge are years off. All they have done so far is close a local road that went right by it.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

Note how long it takes to get from your parking space to yje river, and allow twice as long to get back - Lyncombe Hill is steep.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,644 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

The RBs do a package for children, I believe. Otherwise make sure you walk up to the Royal Crescent and the Circus. Victoria Park begins below the Royal Crescent.

Once you have parked, simply walk back down the hill, at the bottom to the right is a pedestrian crossing, with traffic control lights.

Cross the road, opposite is the Halfpenny Bridge, cross that, walk under the station and you are on the edge of the city centre.

What you should try and avoid doing when you leave Bath is driving back down the hill to the city centre - you are already on the right side of the city for joining the A36.

One way out is to drop down Forefield Rise (it is steep), which joins Lyncombe Hill to Prior Park Road.

Turn right at the bottom, then drive up PPR to the top, where you come to a crossroads, with the Hadley Arms pub opposite.

Turn left on to North Road, follow the road past Ralph Allen school for a couple of miles until you come to a small roundabout: turn right on to Brassknocker Hill, and follow it to the bottom (it is fairly steep and winding).

At the bottom turn right et voila, you are on the A36.

Map link (I hope)

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=375506&y=164043&z=110&sv=forefield+rise&st=6&tl=Map+of+Forefield+Rise,+Bath,+BA2&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

I am not aware that you can drive through Imber - is is closed to the public most of the time as the military still use it for training.

bay area, california
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another parking ? Park and ride or residence driveway?

This is all great info, thank you all so very much! I feel ready for our day in bath now for sure!