We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle near Bath?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Castle near Bath?

We'll be in Bath for a long weekend and were wondering if there are any cool castles in the area. We'll be driving north into the Cotswolds one day and another day we'll be driving south into Lynmouth, Devon. We could make a side trip on one those days. Thanks,

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Castle near Bath?

If you have a car then Farleigh Hungerford Castle is a 20 minute drive south-east of Bath. It is what my mother would have called a castley-castle.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Farleigh_Hungerford_Cast…

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

Do you have a specific reason to go to Lynmouth - it is a long drive from Bath, nearly 3 hours on a good day: I would suggest Lyme Regis as an alternative, about 1.5 hours.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Castle near Bath?

Berkeley Castle

http://www.berkeley-castle.com/index.php

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Castle near Bath?

Thanks for both suggestions. Yes, a castlely castle is exactly what I was hoping for. We will have a car and we are going to Lynmouth because that is where we will be staying for a few days. We wanted to see some pretty parts of Devon and Exmoor. Our room is already booked there and everything. I'm starting to wish we had budgeted more time for Bath since there are so many neat day trips from there. Thank you both.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Castle near Bath?

On your way to Lynmouth you could visit Dunster castle

nationaltrust.org.uk/dunster-castle/…

then you will have more time in Bath

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Castle near Bath?

Excellent idea.

On the way to Dunster you should set aside 1-2 hours for a stop in Wells. When you go, take the route via Radstock/ Clilcompton, as you come down the hill towards Wells there is a wonderful view across the Somerset Levels to Glastonbury To and beyond.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Castle near Bath?

While you're in Bath go and check out Sham Castle. ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sham_Castle

Excellent views over the city from up there.

Edited: 06 August 2013, 22:56
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Castle near Bath?

Another good idea: Sham Caslte (or The Castle on the Warren to give it its proper name) is an example of an architectural folly - explanation of follies here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Castle near Bath?

In the pre-satnav days as chief navigator I used to get "lost" on all manner of detours to see things slightly near to where we were headed. To be fair, my husband loves driving.

I think you are heading down to Lynmouth as a day-trip (not completely sure, but I've done it a few times).

if you make a quick(ish) detour (and it might even be a quicker route at certain times of the day and depending where you are staying i Bath), you could head down to the village of Nunney and walk around a super-cute tiny moated castle (it is slap bang in the middle of the village and from there you would head to Wells) and it is free to enter (I am guessing the gates are open 24/7 too.

Dunster castle is rather splendid.. Monkton Farleigh more of a ruin.

I think you need to type the names into a search engine and decide for yourself

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Castle near Bath?

Sue, if you read the posts, I think that they are heading to Lynmouth to stay for a few days, it is not a day return, as it were.

10. Re: Castle near Bath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 06:20