We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

Hi amazingly helpful Tripadvisor peeps,

I'm trying to finalise an itinerary which, currently, has us finishing our holiday in Bath. We will certainly arrive at Bath (from the Cotswolds) with a hire car, but I haven't done enough research yet to know whether or not we will need a car in Bath. Current plan is to have 3 nights, with no specific must-sees other than perhaps doing the Mad Max tour to Stonehenge, Avebury, Castle Combe and Lacock on one of the days. As this is the last destination of our 5-week trip I presume we'll be pretty exhausted and just feel like taking it pretty easy.

I've actually got a bunch of questions, and some answers are dependant on others, so I'll just fire them!

1) with no real plan in Bath, other than what I've written above, will we need to keep the hire car whilst in Bath?

2) if we've arrived from Bath after 2-nights in the Cotswolds, will the Mad Max tour be retracing old steps and hence overkill? Would we be better to just visit Stonehenge and/or the other circle thingies.

3) if we have kept the hire car, then is it easier to drive to Heathrow than bus/train?

4) if we have returned the car, what's the most convenient way to get to T4 for a 16:50 flight on a Friday afternoon? (www.nationalexpress.com told me the trip would take 3 h 41m and that to get there in time we'd have to leave Bath at 6:30am EEK!) That's not the impression of Bath I want to be left with.

To throw a spanner in the works, someone here suggested that our journey's final destination should be Ireland (which we're going to for 8-9 days of our 5 weeks), but I said "absolutely no way" for two reasons: 1) that I didn't want the extra flight on the same day as a 4-flight longhaul trip, and 2) because I didn't like the idea that the flight to LHR from Dublin might being delayed significantly enough to make us late for the big flight home. I live in Tasmania, which is a state separated from the mainland of Australia and every time I fly overseas I spend the previous night in Melbourne or Sydney because our flights seem to be delayed more often than flights on the mainland.

So, question 5 is: what's the likelihood that a flight from Dublin to LHR would be delayed more than a couple of hours? (I know that's a dumb question!)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,212 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

What time of year ?

Do you have accomodation booked in Bath ? that will affect whether to keep the car or not, as not all of the accomodation in Bath has parking.

And do you have the car booked yet ? Bath doesn't have many car hire places, so dropping off might be an issue.

National Express coaches mostly go to the central bus station at Heathrow - very few go directly to the outer terminals: however, once you get to the central bus station (T1-T3) there is a free bus connection to T4, I believe it takes about 20 minutes. The 09:24 would get you there in plenty of time, the 10:24 with enough time but not as relaxed. as it were.

heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/t…

However, I would keep the car as you could do the Mad Max trip yourselves, without all of the pressures that come with a coach trip - just as you find something that interests you you have to rush back to the bus etc. You could stop for lunch where you like, have a nice supper in Castle Combe etc.

It would also make it possible to spend half a day in Somerset - Wells in particular is charming, it is England's smallest city, plus Glastonbury.

Getting to Heathrow by car is obviously the most convenient, as you can drive straight to the terminal: the major hire companies operate at all 5 terminals, but you would need to check that the company you are using has drop off at T4. If it doesn't you can use the free bus from another terminal.

I would not want to fly from Ireland to London and then get on a flight to Oz - you would spend the whole holiday worrying about that flight from Dublin !

Edited: 19 August 2013, 06:31
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

Thanks for your very helpful reply RomanCitizen. Our trip starts Easter Saturday next year but I've been counting down in days for months already! We've booked neither accommodation nor car yet, so I'll make sure I take all this into consideration when I do.

Many thanks.

3. Re: Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 20:11
4. Re: Bath to Heathrow T4, with or without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:19