We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

Unique Nails and Beauty. 6 Orange Grove. Warning: Deposit of 10 pounds (15 dollars, the price of a good manicure in NYC) taken off you - no matter the circumstances. I understand from a business point of view, this makes sense, but for the client - a warning: do not walk in, hand them ANY money, in order to hold an appointment. If you must use them, simply go - there are few customers. Should your plans change; should the price of 28 pounds (43 dollars!! Not even the top salons in NYC charge such an outrageous price) give you pause (so do your monetary conversion accurately), they will not reason with you; they will not offer another day or time; nor will they accept any excuse -- even if the shop is entirely empty, as in my case; even if they pretend that your appointment has deprived others of an appointment. If you show up early in person and change your mind on the spot, they will keep the deposit. The work looked from a distance mediocre at best, and the owner/manager, while professional, is unflinching: she is gruff with staff in the client's presence, aggressive, and unsympathetic. I lost my temper badly, I admit, for which there is little excuse in terms of civility, and left the store in a rage. However, I suggest that should you be inclined to use their services, think very hard before moving forward. For me, never again.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

Quoting prices of manicures in NYC is completely pointless. You are not in the US and Bath is quite an expensive city. Most people spend a lot more than the equivalent of 15 dollars on a decent manicure in the UK. You obviously hadn't visited the salon before booking since you describe their work as 'mediocre looking st best', so you must have booked by phone or online. It is a pity you did not ask whether the deposit was refundable under any circumstances (and I've never been asked for a deposit at a nail salon or hairdressers) and if you weren't satisfied with the answer you could have tried elsewhere and been spared this experience.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

I believe that nail salons are the fastest growing business sector in the UK, though g*d alone knows why: there is another one just around the corner in Westgate St.. As an allotment holder, I let mother nature do the work for me.

Anyway, well said, Christabel.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I would never assume that a deposit required to hold a booking was in any way refundable however. Goodwill would prompt me to be flexible if I was the owner and felt sufficient polite notice & genuine good reason of a no-show had been given. That said, you wouldnt catch me inside one of those places lol, let along giving them a deposit. Quoting the prices in NYC makes about as much sense as going to NYC and quoting the prices in Bangkok; its not helpful. I have sympathy with you however if this woman was rude and unreasonable. What were the details of you not being able to attend?

4. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 20:11
Bath
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

I have used this salon for years, manicures, waxing, facials etc. Monica, the owner, is quite simply the best beauty therapist I have ever been too, and I have travalled all over the world. Including NYC!

Your comments on quality are completely unfounded.

You should be aware that Bath is predominantly full of tourists, many of whom make appointments and when their plans change do not show up without letting them know. I'm sure that you agree that this is also unacceptable.

As a loyal customer I would not appreciate being unable to get an appointment because blocks of time were taken up by people who wouldn't show up. A deposit of £10 is a small commitment to avoid this occuring.

Finally, for clarity the £28 price is for a Gel Manicure.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manicure in Bath, UK. A Warning.

Why has this suddenly re-surfaced ? Promotional spam ?