We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bath pubs

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
bath pubs

off to bath in a couple of weeks looking for any recommendations for any nice pubs with character in central bath,olde worlde that type of thing would be good,food not important just a nice comfortable atmosphere to relax in

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge Inner Circle Access, Bath...
855 Reviews
from US$198.10*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
462 Reviews
from US$105.50*
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bath pubs

I thought we'd done that one for you?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186370-i379-k66…

If you are coming to Bath in September I don't think this will be too much of an issue because the university term is later.

If you are over near Great Pulteney St I'll throw the Pulteney Arms into the mix.

Also, be aware that pubs will be packed on Saturday (rugby) match days before lunch.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bath pubs

yes you did, just thought id try again and see if any other options popped up,the hop pole seems to get good reviews do you know it?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bath pubs

The Hop Pole is the other side of town to me, so I think of it as a "food pub". It has a decent sized (town) beer garden, and a. couple of different rooms for eating/drinking.

During the day you'll probably find several families that have realised it is family friendly (it is opposite the kids' playground). The food is good there, by the way!

Where are you all staying?

Mentioned in this post
The Hop Pole
The Hop Pole
451 Reviews
Bath, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bath pubs

The Bell on Walcot Street is worth checking out.

P.S. I'm sure there are at least a dozen threads on this topic on the Bath forum already!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bath pubs

staying at paradise house

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bath pubs

Not particularly special, but just down the road from you, is The Ram in Widcombe.

The other 2 pubs along there (The Ring Of Bells and the White Hart) are gastropubs.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
566 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bath pubs

You might want to take a stroll(or a local bus) out to The George in Bathampton. AA nice old country pub where you can sit along the banks of the canal and sip your pint while watching the canal boats go by. I go there every time I'm I'm in Bath and I love the place.

chefandbrewer.com/pub/…

Mentioned in this post
Bathampton
Bathampton
Bath, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bath pubs

The Royal Oak in Widcombe, Bath is probably the better of the pubs mentioned in this part of town; although I do also like the Ram.

http://royaloakbath.co.uk/

beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/21/21424/Ram/Bath

But the best pub in Bath, in my opinion - especially if you like real ale and proper cider/scrumpy - is the Royal Oak in Twerton.

Well worth the 20 minute walk along the Lower Bristol Road from the centre of Bath:

http://www.theroyaloak-bath.co.uk/

Edited: 05 September 2013, 20:55
Mentioned in this post
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
55 Reviews
Bath, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,198 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bath pubs

P.S. the Royal Oak in Twerton, not to be confused with the other Royal Oak in Widcombe, is actually a Freehouse; unlike the majority of pubs in Bath. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Oak
The Royal Oak
55 Reviews
Bath, UK
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bath pubs

We were in Bath late August for 3 nights. We really enjoyed The Crystal Palace, the Garrick's Head, and Assembly Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Crystal Palace
Crystal Palace
141 Reviews
Bath, UK
The Assembly Inn
The Assembly Inn
35 Reviews
Bath, UK