We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Bath

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
A day in Bath

We will be in Bath for the day on Saturday 12th. What is a must for us to see/do whilst there please? And can you recommend a decent restaurant please? many thanks.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Bath

You have asked the same question about other places in the UK, but you haven't stated what your interests are.

Museums, art, antiques, leisurely strolls through parks or along riverbanks, fine dining or maybe a few real ale pubs and a Bath City football match???

P.S. Bath City are actually away on the 12th October in FA Cup qualifying match at Bridgwater. ;-)

Edited: 09 October 2013, 17:44
Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Bath

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. We are doing a mad long weekend in the area. I do like museums, and nice parks, etc. I am open to most things, even football but as Manu fans we would probably find Bath City a bit tame for us! We would like to go to the Spa though and we like fine dining.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Bath

Royal Victoria Park is a must - walk past the Royal Crescent, have a look around the botanical gardens, walk back into town via The Circus and the Assembley Rooms down to George Street. Walk to the end of Paragon and back down Walcot Street where eventually you will get to Pulteney Bridge.

Go for a stroll up Great Pulteney Street to Sydney Gardens, and if you have time walk back along the Kennet & Avon canal and through it's canal tunnels to Widcombe.

Parade Gardens gives you nice views of Pulteney Bridge and the weir.

There's lots of things to see in Bath that are free, but if you visit the Roman Baths give yourself a couple of hours, and of course it's not free, but get a combined ticket for the Roman Baths and Fashion Museum at the Assembley Rooms.

Can't comment on the fine dining, but in the city centre check out the Salamander, Raven and Old Green Tree pubs for drinks.

Someone else will come along soon to recommend his favourite pub.... ;-p

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Bath

P.S. I'm from Liverpool but lived in Bath for several years and now support Bath City FC.

Yes, they may be tame compared to PL teams, but it's a lot more rewarding going to watch your local non-league team than watching some over paid prima-donnas who are out of action for 6 months after breaking their finger nail! ;-D

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Bath

Thank you very much for your reply. I think we will be going to the Roman Baths and the Fashion Museum and probably enjoy a walk after eating too much. That should keep us occupied for the day. I agree with you about the prima donna football players, they are all overpaid, we do support the local team as well. Thanks once again for your help.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Bath

I am told that there are over 300 eateries in Bath, a figure I do not believe, but I am prepared to believe there are over 100 - as you will see when you get to the city, you will be spoiled for choice.

IF you are looking for somewhere a bit classy try Woods or the Circus Bisztro (both have web sites), otherwise take your pick....

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,512 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A day in Bath

...and don't forget the Star Inn. ;-)

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A day in Bath

Thanks for the info, at least it doesn't look as though we will go hungry.

9. Re: A day in Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Bath
Recent Conversations