We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cookeville...
4 posts
Save Topic
Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Hello Everyone,

Been lurking these boards for a few months planning our Ireland/UK vacation this coming June, but this is my first post. I hope someone can help me figure out what to do. My daughter and I will be arriving in Bath by train on a Sunday and leaving two days later on Tuesday afternoon. We really would like to visit Castle Combe, Lacock, and possibly Avebury on one of those days. I looked at Mad Max tours, and they are available on Sunday and Tuesday, but the Sunday one leaves before we will arrive in Bath (we will be on the earliest train from Salisbury), and the Tuesday tour will not be back in Bath before we have to leave to catch a plane in Bristol. Is there another way to visit this villages? We will not have a car (won't even attempt to drive on opposite side of road), and our dates can't be changed (hotel prepaid). Also don't want to do a tour that includes Stonehenge since we will have already been on a Stonehenge tour from Salisbury. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Glastonbury, Wells & Bristol are all easily accessible from Bath, if you do decide to do something else during the day.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Agree that Wells is worth a visit, easy trip by bus, relaxing tour through North Somerset.

As for rangmx, I can only assume you stayed in your hotel all night, as there is plenty of nightlife - only to be expected in a city of 2 universities.

Edited: 08 February 2014, 06:07
Westbury, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Hi - Bath is a beautiful place and I would suggest you take time to enjoy the town; you can take a boat ride, an open top bus and spend time in the wonderful shops. the newly renovated thermal spa offers evening entry - it's wonderful being on the roof top pool at dusk looking out over the city. How about the theatre too? Your daughter may enjoy the fashion museum - wonderful displays of iconic designers. Or the Bertinet kitchen offers courses in pastry making !!

The train will take you to Bradford on Avon - go find Dick and Jane's on the canal for an amazing English breakfast!

We live 20 mins from Bath , very close to Laycock and today enjoyed Sunday roast in Avebury - if I was visiting though I would be spending time in Bath.

What ever you decide, enjoy

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

Provided that you are not travelling on a Sunday, you can do Castle Combe and Lacock in one day using public transport by taking a bus or Train to Chippenham, then taking a bus Castle Combe (and back) in the morning, then another bus to Lacock (and back) in the afternoon.

HOWEVER

The times for the Castle Combe bus route are due to change in April and we don't know what they will be yet, so I suggest that you email buses@wiltshire.gov.uk nearer the time, to find out the new timetables.

Phil-the-Bus

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

I would skip a boat trip from Pulteney weir - you actually see very little of the city: even in my proudest moments I would not call the back of our old house interesting.

16. Re: Castle Combe/Lacock/Avebury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:20