We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing of Bath travel options

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Timing of Bath travel options

I'm trying to decide our travel options for going to Bath. My husband and I arrive at Heathrow at 8:10 p.m. on May 13th. My original thought was that we would spend the night at some airport hotel and then get a coach or train to Bath the next morning. But, as I looked at coach and train schedules, I realized we wouldn't get in to Bath until almost noon on the 14th. So then I was thinking we could just take one when we get in to London on the 13th. Which would have us waking up in Bath and having the full day to explore.

It appears that there are both train and coach options for the 13th. Is one better than the other? How much time should I allow from my flight landing to the coach time? We'd be arriving from Iceland (we're from the US, but we're spending a couple days in Iceland prior to the UK trip).

Also, is it reasonable to arrive at our hotel in Bath at midnight(ish)? I know in the US, it's okay to do that, you just have to let them know it's a late arrival. But I don't want to be rude (or worse, locked out) of our hotel because we're arriving so late.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them! (Hotel recs too! We're on a tight budget, but would love to find a good place to stay.)

Thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing of Bath travel options

Where you arrive from is irrelevant, it's where your passport is from that matters: you will have to go through non-EU immigration, but that should not be a particular issue. And flights from Iceland should be pretty reliable in terms of time.

There are 2 options, I think: get a taxi to West Drayton Station, then get a train to Bath via Reading, or catch a coach from the Central Bus station.

There are trains at 21:16 (arr 23:24), 22:01 (arr 00:06) and 23:23 (arr 01:21). West Drayton is 10 minutes from H'row, but you might be pushed to make the 21:16.

Do you know which terminal you arrive at ? there are 3 places to catch National Express coaches, T4, T5 or the Central (T1/2/3) bus station. Of these, most buses go from the Central, and it can be much quicker to use the free services to get from T4/5 to the Central, which takes 15/30 minutes.

There is a coach at 22:10 (arr 00:20).

As for late arrivals, check with the hotel/ B&B before booking: a hotel should not have an issue, a B&B might.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Of course you could do a private transfer, which would start at around £130.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 07:18
Denver, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing of Bath travel options

Great, thanks!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing of Bath travel options

"But, as I looked at coach and train schedules, I realized we wouldn't get in to Bath until almost noon on the 14th"

Sorry, but where are you getting your information from?

If you stay at a hotel at Heathrow Airport, and if you don't mind an early (ish) start, and ignoring the getting a National Express Coach you could leave Heathrow at about 7.40am and get the underground to London Paddington and change for a train there that will get you into Bath for 10am. (That's if they all run on time!)

You could get there a lot earlier on the 14th if you wanted too - but you probably wouldn't be able to check into your hotel until after noon, but you could drop your bags off there for a couple of hours and then return to check in.

Use www.nationalrail.co.uk for train schedules from from Heathrow to Bath.

P.S. those trains would require you to use the "expensive" HEX train to Paddington, but through fares using this train and then the FGW service to Bath on 14th May are available to the moment for £39-£48 if booked in advance.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 00:01
4. Re: Timing of Bath travel options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 05:18