We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

We will be in Bath for 4 days and wanted to spend one day in South Wales as a long day trip by train. Have made a first cut itinerary – is this do-able?

7:25 –Early train from Bath to Cardiff Central (breakfast on train)

8:46 - Walk 10 min to Cardiff Castle

9 – 10:45 - Cardiff Castle (incl 45 min of must-do tour of interiors that depart every 20 min from 10 am)

10:45-11.15 - Taxi (20min – availability? Cost?) / Bus(32 A from Central Station, 25 mins to St Fagans)

1115-1330 - St.Fagans (heard that parts of it are undergoing renovation? Hope it's still worth it?)

1330-1430 - Lunch (At Gwalia Tea Room, above Ironmongers)

1430-1520 – Journey to Tintern Abbey (preferred option -but how to go?), If not then Caerphilly Castle?

1530 – 1700 - Tintern Abbey or Caerphilly Castle

1700 – 1800 – Return to Cardiff (How?)

1830 – 1934 – Train to Bath (DO I need to go all the way to Cardiff to catch the train back or can I catch it somewhere mid way? If yes, can I still use the Day Return train tickets?)

We are 2 adults and 1 kid of 8.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

That's quite a lot to fit into one day. Personally I think too much, especially traveling by public transport and with an 8 year old in tow.

First part is fine. Getting from the castle to St Fagans will take you longer than 30 mins if you go by bus. The bus itself takes 30 mins, but you would need to walk back to the bus station and wait for one to arrive, etc. Allow an hour. A taxi could get you there in that time. There are taxi ranks on Greyfriars Road and St Marys Street, both within 5 mins walk of the Castle entrance.

I think 2 hours is light for St Fagans. It's very much a place for wandering and not for sticking to a schedule and it's easy to spend half a day there.

Your main problem is with the next part because there's no way at all you can get from St Fagans to Tintern Abbey in 50 mins. If you had a car parked in the car park at St Fagans, it'd be very unlikely you could even drive there in that time. Even if you got a taxi back to Cardiff Central, a train to Chepstow and then another taxi to Tintern Abbey, you're looking at 90mins to 2 hours

Caerphilly is slightly more doable, though you'd still need to take a taxi to make it in that time. And probably all the way rather than back into Cardiff and then a train (taxi from St Fagans to Caerphilly probably cost about £25).

To answer you final questions, if you were at Tintern Abbey, you would only need to go back from Chepstow to Newport in order to pick up the Bath train, not all the way to Cardiff. And yes you can still use those tickets.

Overall, I do think you're trying to do too much and you'd have a nicer day out if you only tried to visit two places out of your list rather than three.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

I agree, too much, and relying on everything going to plan. Tintern is not easy to get to without a car.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

Don't expect any catering on that early train - you'll need to take your breakfast with you

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,783 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

I agree about Tintern, there are some buses on the route, but by car is the best....so I think you will have to leave it out of your itinerary.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

I agree with previous posters that you're trying to squash too much in. I've been to Cardiff Castle and agree the house tour is good. St Fagans IIRC we spent best part of a day - so many different buildings, plus the original mansion and gardens. I think, particularly with an 8 year old I wouldn't plan anything major after St Fagans, but head back into the centre of Cardiff - there's the National Museum, the Millenium Centre, the parks, the Assembly buildings, the Bay area - if this is in the school holidays there may well be events on that your 8yo would enjoy, though at this stage he/she may be flagging!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

The trains on that route only have 3 carriages and if you travel on Monday to Friday you will find that the early morning trains are jam packed with commuters.

Even at the weekend it's not a pleasant journey on those trains.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

They do fast boat trips from Cardiff Bay (RIB rides) if the weather is nice.

I agree with the others - Cardiff and St.Fagans are about it for a sensible day-trip

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. One last question before I give up on Tintern for this trip - how much would a direct taxi from St Fagans to Tintern cost? And is Tintern even worth the money and effort this would entail?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to South Wales from Bath by train

It's around 40 miles each way - £2 a mile maybe?? Less if prebooked perhaps

Edited: 25 April 2014, 19:06
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,783 posts