We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West of England Falconry

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
155 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
West of England Falconry

Hi Everyone,

Whilst perusing the activities available in Bath for our upcoming 3 day stay there, I happened upon the West of England Falconry listing as being one of if not the number one rated activity. I've read the reviews but none are really clear regarding transportation to and from that location. One review mentions a cab but also that there were problems in that regard. As we will be without transportation save our wobbly two feet, any information regarding transport options and approximate costs would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West of England Falconry

I found a bus timetable

firstgroup.com/ukbus/…20267.pdf

And in a review :-

"Jay is such a lovely welcoming guy, putting you at ease as he gets you ready for your walk. Not having a car, he was also so helpful in suggesting bus times and picking us up/dropping us back at Combe Down bus stop."

Bought the walking distance up on Google maps at 15mins but looks like it's woth ringing or emailing and asking.

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
155 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West of England Falconry

Thanks suebovington. I read that as well in the review but don't have any idea where Combe Down bus stop is located. Couldn't find it on the bus timetable either. I tried to Google it as well and also read it was about an 15 minute walk but given our luck, that would be more like an hour after getting turned around on a lonely country road, lost! Also the website said that it wouldn't give the address since permission must be granted to get on the private property though I have seen another address, 5 Tucking Hill Cottages, attributed to that organization but then, not sure if that's the actual site or the offices/contact/mailing address. Will try to contact them for more info. Thanks!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West of England Falconry

As you say, the address will only be given after a confirmed booking - how stupid is that ? you want to know if you can get there first. Their issue is probably fear of theft, or possibly animal liberators.

Assuming it is Tucking Mill (see Midford Castle below), Tucking Mill is less than a kilometre from Midford, which has a bus service, the 267 - and a nice pub, the Hope and Anchor. It is a level walk along a nice country lane.

A taxi would be at least £12-£15 each way I suspect.

Combe Down is at the top of a steep hill (down is an old word for top of a hill, if you didn't know), Tucking Mill at the bottom, and is therefore a much harder walk than Midford.

You imply that you are doddery, but if that is not the case you can walk to Tucking Mill from Bath using the Two Tunnels route (a disused railway that has been converted to a cycle/ walking path). A very pleasant walk, an hour each way would do it.

The young lady in the photo on the website is standing in front of Midford Castle (recently owned by Nicholas Cage), about half way between Midford and Tucking Mill.

Geology Smith lived at Tucking Mill, nearby there are remains of the Somersetshire Coal Canal, which he surveyed: there is a plaque on the house where he lived - except it was recently realised it is on the wrong house !

Edited: 10 July 2014, 06:30
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
265 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West of England Falconry

Scottderrick, I would email them and explain your predicament. They might give you more details. You never know! Their email address is westofenglandfalconry@sky.com.

Good luck.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West of England Falconry

Their registered office address is in Melksham, Wiltshire, so the 5 Tucking Mill Cottages address may well be the correct one for the actual falconry centre. Also, Tucking Mill Manor is a self-catering holidays outfit which advertises money off West of England Falconry walks through the Midford Valley. have a look here:

www.bathselfcatering.net/special-offers.html

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West of England Falconry

That is the address that I found the falconry at using website and maps. Also the bus stop is outside the Hope and Anchor. I haven't searched again to check that I remember right but it would have been in the reviews and doing West of Eng Falc Reviews search on Google.

You could private message someone who posts recently and has been there. That would be the best way.

It sounds odd to me that a business won't tell you how to get there untill you book. Very weird.

I would rearrange you trip and come down this way. We have a falconry, bus stops there in beautiful countryside and there are cream teas in the gardens. I'd drive you myself if you bought my tea and cakes ;-)

http://www.exmoorfalconry.co.uk/

In fact there are several in Somerset.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 15:12
Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
155 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West of England Falconry

Thanks all. We did eventually get a hold of Jay at West of England Falconry and we've made an appointment. He was unable to help us with specifics like all of you regarding transportation but we've decided to rent bikes in Bath and get to Tucking Mills Cottages via the Two Tunnel Greenway. If that works out, suebovington, we won't be taking you up on your offer but if you happen to be at Hope and Anchor in Midford we'd certainly would treat to a pint of the local ale after our hawk walk. If anyone has any tips on getting from Bath to Tucking Mills Cottages via the Two Tunnel Greenway, we're all ears! Thanks all for the much appreciated help!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,390 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West of England Falconry

Where are you staying ? and where hiring bikes ? there is a place on Bathwick Hill which rents out bikes.

The Two Tunnels route begins at Bellots Road - I find this site the best map service for the UK

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

there are lots of places you can join the TT route, hence the first 2 questions.

To find Tucking Mill, once you have gone through the main Combe Down tunnel (can't miss it, about a mile long) after about half a mile you cross a viaduct which passes over some fishing lakes. Tucking Mill is to the left, beyond the lakes, and it is possible to get down there from the viaduct but might be difficult with bikes. It is probably easier to cycle on a bit further until Midford Castle comes into view on the right: along that stretch is a short, easy path to the left leading down to the road - Tucking Mill Lane. Turn left, Tucking Mill is a few hundred yards along the road.

The TT route continues beyond Midford to Wellow, which has the Fox and Badger, used to be a proper village pub but I heard they were planning to gastroise it, sadly. The Hope and Anchor sells a nice cider made in the village

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
155 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West of England Falconry

Thanks RomanCitizen for the advice! We got a great rate at the Hilton Bath City so we're staying there the last night in bath, then heading out to rent bikes (shop not yet chosen, please see below) and pedal over to Tucking Mill via the TT route, and as you suggest, will take Tucking Mill Lane. We were told it would take about an hour of leisurely pedaling start to finish. I've done a little bike shop research and have found that Bath Narrowboats at Sydney Wharf and Bath by Cycle rent bikes, both of which are on Bathwick Hill and if you have any recommendations, would love to hear it. I've also run into NextBike which appears to be a bike sharing scheme where you can pick up and drop off bikes in bath but not sure how that would work with us. I'm going to look into the Fox and Badger as alternative to Hope and Anchor if it hasn't gone too posh. Thanks for all the advice, I can't wait to visit Bath.

Thanks so much for all your advice!

10. Re: West of England Falconry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:15