We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Bath from Heathrow

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Bath from Heathrow

Traveling with 2 older sisters to Bath from Heathrow. We land around 7am --next month, and we are trying to figure out the cheapest and easiest way to get to bath. WHY Bath, going to the Jane Austen Festival for 3 days. I would rather NOT drive since my only and brief experience driving on the other side of the road was not good although it might make much more sense $wise.

Please advise:

- Train==not the express since we hear that's very expensive.

- Bus? is it really that horrible and hard to get to?

- Car, should I really? heaven help us!

Elbi

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

National Express coach is by far the easiest. Why do you think it would be horrible or hard to get to?

You can't get a train from Heathrow, you have to either get a link bus to Reading or go completely the wrong direction into central London.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 17:14
boston,ma.
Level Contributor
533 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

I always travel to Bath from Heathrow by bus/coach. I love the ride. You pass through some beautiful villages and you can have a bit of a snooze too.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,983 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

Get a taxi to West Drayton (about 12 mins from H'row, then take a train to Bath from there. Regular service from WD to Reading, trains every half hour from Reading to Bath.

Escalators and lifts at Reading station if you have to change platforms.

A hire car with driver would be about £130+.

You should not get off a flight from America and get straight behind the wheel of a car, that way accidents lie.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,879 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

> Train==not the express since we hear that's very expensive.<

Where did you read or hear that load of rubbish!?

I just looked at www.nationalrail.co.uk and a train ticket from Heathrow to Bath on 12 September (which is when the Jane Austen Festival starts) can be bought for as little as £19.80.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
44,744 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

I read the OP as not going via the HEX, which is indeed very expensive!

If it were me, I'd take the National Express coach after a long flight.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

Thank you for all the useful responses, everyone. I've been contemplating just renting a car and just drive, but left-side driving intimidates me a bit. I'll consider all your suggestions. thank you.

Lety

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

It has already been said, do not drive straight after an overnight flight. You do have the lives of your sisters and other road users to consider when you fall asleep at the wheel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,082 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

>>> left-side driving intimidates me a bit <<<

It's not the left-side driving that would be the issue here, it would be getting into a car and driving straight off an overnight flight when you will be dog-tired.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

I'll throw in my vote for National Express too. The terminal is a 5-10 minute walk through Heathrow, the rates can be ridiculously cheap (in comparison to other methods), takes about 2 hours. Not only do you not have to deal with driving on the opposite side of the road, you won't have to deal with trying to find a place to park your car when you get to Bath.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Bath from Heathrow

<<I've been contemplating just renting a car and just drive,>>

of all your options that is the worst

<<we are trying to figure out the cheapest and easiest way to get to bath>>

you should be looking at the safest way to get to Bath. Why put your life, and the lives of others, at risk over trying to save a few quid?