We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

I read in a British newspaper in a film review about Belle, that Bath's buildings were built by families involved in slavery or slave trade .

As tourists , we are awestruck by architecture; yet , not privy to the history behind these families which made fortune in Jamaica or Barbados.

It seems Bath faces its dark history since on the Jane Austen website and magazine mention this connection - Belle film on its Regency magazine cover.

So are there special tours or is this history included in regular tours?

Or should I study specific buildings in my DIY walk?

In the US, the plantations whitewash this reality.

…wordpress.com/2013/02/04/slavery-in-bath/

Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Mad Max Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Bizarre Bath
Sightseeing Tours
Around and About Bath
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours
Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Cannot find the original article I mentioned.

Found this

somersetguardian.co.uk/Time-Bath-confront-sl…

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,762 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Not sure about tours that include what you are after, but you could try contacting the Bath Preservation Trust who have a museum (formely the Building of Bath Museum):

http://www.bath-preservation-trust.org.uk/

http://buildingofbathcollection.org.uk/

Edited: 05 August 2014, 18:41
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

If there is a tour, I imagine one of these people would lead it. You may want to contact http://www.bathparadeguides.co.uk/tours/bath/

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Don't believe everything you read in British newspapers ! our journalists give lessons to the rest of the world on sloppiness and laziness.

Bath's proximity to Bristol (14 miles) means that inevitably there was some crossover between the two cities, but Bath is not like Clifton, which was built almost entirely on slavery money. And there are historic sites in Bristol like the slave market, so tours are meaningful: there are no such sites in Bath, slaves would not have entered the city, except as servants.

Beckford's money WAS from slavery, but he built relatively little in Bath.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 06:44
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,838 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

This is a polemic you may wish to read - there are loads of vague assertions here, but no evidence is offered.

As an example of how bad it is, it makes much of Beckford, but as I say above he actually built very little in Bath - his main monument is Beckford's tower, but of the building of the centre of the town he had no part.

…wordpress.com/2013/02/04/slavery-in-bath/

Edited: 06 August 2014, 06:51
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Bristol, just up the road, is quite open about its links to slavery. There are exhibits at one of the museums (maybe M-Shed?)

Anyway if you fancy a day out, here's a Bristol walk. (From an old newspaper piece so may be out of date). It's a fascinating city. independent.co.uk/travel/uk/in-the-footsteps…

Montreal
Level Contributor
193 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

Very interesting.

British Press mislead? I didn't read it from a tabloid I think. I guess that Belle film made this facet of history come out in the collective consciousness or in the very least, a journalist or two.

Bristol is very open insofar there is a tour , that in fact it has made peace with the ugly side of its history.

I suppose there isn't a Horrible History children's book series on these towns. Ruthless Regents. Sugar trade Slavedrivers.

I don't mean to open any wounds on the aristocracy's descendants ( the landed aristocracy may have just exploited their own local yeomen) who may not want to tell tourists their estate was built on slavery...But it isn't their fault if their ancestors ill-gotten wealth was built on sweat and sugar. The sin is hiding it , of course... They might not even be aware of it. Or nouveau rich who bought these hotels/inns have no direct lineage to the building. Not to the manor born.

I love history as you can tell so I can contextualize history. It isn't just Bath or UK guilty of slavery but other European nations with colonial histories , their grand estates where probably built in the same manner.

I just wondered if these tidbits were included in the official history or tours.

8. Re: Is there a tour that explains Bath's connection to slavery?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bath