We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Special Occasion Meal in Bath

Which Bath hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Special Occasion Meal in Bath

Good morning people!

I am taking my partner for a surprise break to Bath next week and am looking for somewhere to take him for a birthday meal on Thursday evening.

I am looking for something romantic and special, but without being overly expensive....anywhere you'd recommend?

Thank you!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

They do a fairly well priced menu at the Pump Room, I have been for the high tea and it was very good and the food always looks nice, too:

romanbaths.co.uk/pdf/…202014.pdf

It is such a special place to sit and eat, often with live music and the Roman Baths nearby.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

Thank you so much - we're actually going to the Pump Room for an afternoon tea on the Friday so looking for somewhere different for the Thursday.

Can't wait to go there though - even more so after your recommendation!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

Ah! Excellent, you will love the tea it is tasty and very special :) I had an ok meal at the Hall & Woodhouse pub, too recently. The building is stunning but the service and food were only ok.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

There's lots of choice. I'll stick to the independents, although there are some good 'chain' options too (Prezzo, Chimichanga, La Tasca, Miller & Carter, Turtle Bay, Jamie's Italian, Cote Brasserie to name but seven).

For Italian: Martini Ristorante or Aio in George Street. Sotto Sotto (North Parade) is No1 in Bath but doubt you'll get a booking now.

For Indian: Eastern Eye in Quiet Street, Rajpoot in Argyle Street or Mint Room in Upper Bristol Road.

For Chinese: Peking Restaurant in New Street.

For French: Casanis in Saville Row

Gastro/British: The Porter in George Street or Circus Restaurant in Brock Street.

Hope you both have a good time.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
711 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

For consistently great food, and a cool atoms…although how romantic it is is up to you:) I would go to The Allium at The Abbey Hotel…their early menu till 7 or 7.30 is fantastic and enormously good value £17.95 for 2 courses by a Michelin starred chef. (The Allium doesn't have the star-yet, Chris Staines their Chef held one at his previous restaurants-just for the pedants out there!)

Gorgeous food and you can eat outside if you want to, they have heaters if this August carries on in the same way! The Circus is also good, table 15 is a good one for couples.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

Romantic and special without being overly expensive is difficult anywhere, never mind Bath. Most of themanfrombath's first paragraph can be ignored: Jamie's Italian for a romantic special occasion ? I don't think so.

The best suggestion in there is Cassini's, check their menu as to whether you think it is expensive. But anywhere romantic and nice will be £40+ per head.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

How charming of you to advise someone to ignore my response, RomanCitizen. I note that you followed that up with a horrible mis-spelling of 'Casanis'.

As it happens I'm not a fan of Jamie's Italian, but I know plenty of people who would consider it for a special occasion - even a romantic one. They're not snobs, you see.

8. Re: Special Occasion Meal in Bath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 05:15