We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glastonbury or wells

Which Glastonbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
glastonbury or wells

Good afternoon and happy new year to you all,

My husband and I will be spending a couple of days in London in May next year and will be then driving out to either Glastonbury or Wells. We will then stay there for a couple nights and branch out each day and do the day tours of must sees in that region. Can anyone advise which place would be the quaintest to stay. We don't really like alot of crowds, but enjoy the community feel of the place.

Also if there is any must sees you can recommend.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards Bells54

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: glastonbury or wells

Glastonbury is fine for a visit - see the Tor and the Abbey, but Wells has far more to offer, and is a lot nicer looking too.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: glastonbury or wells

I found Glastonbury creepy - if you see the shops you'll know why. I'd go for Wells every time.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: glastonbury or wells

I'd vote for Wells too. Glastonbury has more than its fair share of eccentrics/weirdos.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: glastonbury or wells

Both are great places to visit, but to stay I would join the others in recommending Wells as a splendid example of a historic smal town (sorry City) unless you are into alternative lifestyles. Personally I find all the crystal shops and so on amusing rather than creepy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,789 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: glastonbury or wells

Yup - I'd say Wells too for more to see and do. More Ancient English, lovely lanes, houses and the cathedral.

I see you like Spas. Have you thought of going for a session at Bath, including a dip in the famous baths? And amazing architecture though probably more pricy to stay.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: glastonbury or wells

I, too, would recommend Wells - the smallest city in England - for your base. I felt uncomfortable in Glastonbury (the church was "locked up" for the lunch break with a massive chain and padlock) and was glad to move on.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 10:46
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: glastonbury or wells

Well, it does depend on your definition of 'quaint', really, and both places are pretty touristy but I'd agree Wells has a bit more to offer overall.

I like Glastonbury; it has a hippy feel with Pagan twists and bits of Arthurian legend thrown in for good measure, so if you find such things "creepy" I'd avoid the area! The Tor and the view from there are amazing and the high street is quite nice for a stroll if you're happy with the influence of all the above mentioned things!

Wells is a lovely place; beautiful Cathedral with a famous clock (also the cafe is very nice!), the swans and their bell, the cobbled streets. It gets very, very busy however and if you're visiting during any of the bank holiday weekends in May expect it to be chocker-block.

The whole area is very pleasant with Cheddar Gorge etc.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: glastonbury or wells

"it has a hippy feel with Pagan twists and bits of Arthurian legend thrown in for good measure"

If only it was that - that would be OK. What's creepy are the endless Krystal and Angel shops. Even my GF who has had an "alternative" lifestyle for years dislikes the place.

Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: glastonbury or wells

Thanks so much everyone, your advice has been wonderful as always.

Wells definately sounds like our type of place and hopefully our visit wont be on the long weekend you mentioned.

If we can't get accommodation in Wells is there another place you can recommend to be charming.

Thanks again, really appreciate your time and effort.

Regards Bells54

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: glastonbury or wells

True Alanrow, the crystal shops are a bit much, I agree!