We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glastonbury in the Winter

Which Glastonbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Glastonbury in the Winter

We're a family of 5 from the US planning a short break on route to being moved to South East Asia for my work. London is the most sensible spot to break our journey, and we've been thinking about renting a cottage out in somerset, close to Glastonbury. We'd rent a car and plan on seeing the local sights and maybe venturing out to Nunney Castle and to Stonehenge/Sailsbury Cathedral for day trips.

We can handle cold weather and snow (we're from the upper mid-west) but I'm wondering what kind of weather to expect and whether we'll have a hard time getting around by car due to roads or having sights close?

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
977 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

English weather is a lottery so plan for the worst and then you won't be disappointed.

Check the met office website.

Very few sights will close unless the weather becomes very bad.

Glasto is a very quiet place and the roads in/out are quite small so getting around will be slow'sh but pretty.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

You may be able to handle cold weather and snow, we cant in the UK, one snow fall and everything stops!! however it is quite possible that we will get no snow at all, no one knows.

Short daylight hours is a worse and inevitable problem. Sights wont close because of the weather but may simply close from November to March because of lack of visitors.

In the countryside, mud is a worse problen than snow. However, I must say I do like winter when it is quiet.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

You're unlikely to encounter road closures because of bad weather (although it can happen). Many attractions such as large country houses are closed from November to Easter because they attract too few visitors to make it worth their while staying open, however, none of the places you mention are closed then and there are plenty of other sights to see that will be open - just check the websites for those you have in mind. Both English Heritage and the National Trust have websites indicating what you can find in the local area and what is and isn't open when you visit.

We have spent a number of great family holidays renting a cottage in winter and have never been short of things to do - there's also little nicer than curling up in front of a roaring fire with a hot drink and some buttered crumpets. Enjoy!

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

The West of England has the least snow of any area in Britain except the west coast of Scotland, so snow will almost certainly not be a problem. However, Glastonbury is in the middle of the Somerset Levels, where flooding can occur - we get rain, not snow. Where exactly are you thinking of hiring ?

Farleigh Hungerford Castle is probably a better place to visit than Nunney - it's 'one of the ruins that Cromwell knocked about a bit' - it's only about 10 miles from Nunney.

I actually prefer Wells to Salisbury - and it's a 10 minute drive from Glastonbury.

Edited: 12 December 2012, 13:49
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,789 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

Definitely fit in Wells, it;s small and beautiful. Very old English and friendly.

The levels can be beautiful in the winter, very atmospheric with winter sun and mists and being quiet you can pull up to look and take photos. If you put 'winter on the Somerset Levels' into Google and look at the images you will get the idea. The land of myth & legend.

What will be open are the country pubs in villages with log fires, home cooked winter meals and being quiet the chance to talk to the locals.

You don't say when you are coming, Wasailing happens in villages in West Somerset mid Jan. From about then it is getting lighter in the evenings too.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

Nunney Castle is quite a small ruin, but has a proper moat and is quaint and pretty. There is an excellent cafe in Nunney, called Cafe de la Mare.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

Do rent a cottage in the country, it can be lovely in winter. The days are short, but you are used to that being from MN.

Find a cottage in a village or small town where you can walk to a pub in the evening, as PoolLounger said, curling up in front of an open fire in a quaint cottage is lovely, but a pint in a quaint pub with an open fire is also very nice.

Salsibury has a beautiful cathedarl and the town is very nice, but Wells cathedaral is one of my favorites so I second the suggestions above.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

wells is a wonderful spot.http://500px.com/photo/13074687

National trust places tend to be open wekends only at best, but Stourhead is lovely if its open, and the woods around have Alfreds tower. you can actually get into Stourhead through those woods on a public footpath even when the main gates are closed.

From Glastonbury its an easy day trip to avebury and stonehenge or avebury and laycock. the day wont be long enough for all 3 though (I would leave out stonehenge.. avebury is much nicer).

Cheddar gorge... glastonbury tor, Cadbury camp, ... my "home town" from school days (bruton).. http://500px.com/photo/12852431... etc.

9. Re: Glastonbury in the Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 23:15