We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glencot House

Which Wells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wiltshire
1 post
Save Topic
Glencot House

Dear Sir/Madam

With regard to Glencot House which used to be a wonderful hotel - I am writing this as a customer to let others know that the hotel has changed management and it would appear that things have deteriorated as a result.

Myself and my partner have stayed at this hotel on a regular basis for the past five years, we tend to go to Glastonbury festival and treat it as a holiday, we have enjoyed what was a wonderful hotel so much that we book extra days over and above the festival and also stay at the same time each year even if the festival is not on and we always visit various places in and around Wells, the Catherdral being a favourite place to visit.

We also always book this hotel a year in advance to ensure we have a place, as you can imagine bookings are at a premium for that time of year, last year the previous owners informed us that sadly they were leaving, they said they would pass on our booking and entered it onto the computer booking system whilst we were there.

Recently I contacted the hotel to confirm the booking and to make sure that all was in order, I was also told that they had vacancies for the period we had booked for. When I looked at their website I noticed that they had more than doubled the price of the daily rate for staying at the hotel so contacted them again to ask if they would honour the rate that was in place at the time of our booking, I was told that they had no record of our booking and that the issue would be discussed with the general manager and they would contact me first thing the next day. I gear nothing and had to contact them twice more to get a definitive answer, they refused to honour our booking and when I asked if we could perhaps stay for just a couple of nights instead of the four nights we had booked I was told no.

I can only imagine that this is some sort of prejudice given that they have or had vacancies at the time I contacted them and whilst there seems to be little I can do about the situation I find their attitude to be utterly appalling to say the least.

The hotel used to be a wonderful, family run business and one the we recommended to a lot of people who as a result stayed there and we always saw it as an essential part of our holiday, but the fact that we feel we are being treated so badly and the fact that they have increased their prices to such a degree seems very detrimental.

We are absolutely heartbroken about their refusal to honour our booking, but even more distressed that they now refuse to accommodate us at all, as you can imagine with the festival on this year everywhere is now fully booked and it is unlikely we will be able to find a suitable alternative.

This most certainly does not appear to be a hotel that values its customers and so I have contacted you with my story as I feel very strongly that people should be aware of this hotel's new ethos and the apparent lack of customer care, it appears that they intend this to be a hotel for the very rich only.

wells
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glencot House

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. Have you considered trying self catering accommodation in Wells? You may be lucky.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,065 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glencot House

We were there for dinner last Friday night... had never heard of the place but needed to go out for dinner somewhere in the Wells area, our first choice Old Spot had unfortunately flooded and had the builders in and were closed over the Glastonbury festival weekend, our second choice, Goodfellows, was closed as they were at the festival, fortunately Glencot was suggested and I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed it for a completely different experience (wouldn't have wanted to do the dusting mind you). Having called in to Bristol on our way and visited the Banksy exhibition we felt we had enjoyed a completely surreal few hours.

Sorry to read the above, but places do change and if they are successful the chances are that prices will increase. We had the reverse experience last summer when our hotel booking in Edinburgh during the festival halved in price as the hotel had become a Travelodge, excellent value!

3. Re: Glencot House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:15