We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in wells

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Parking in wells

We're driving over to Wells for a day trip so want to leave the car somewhere all day. Any ideas of the best/cheapest car park. Also we're going on a Wednesday which i believe is market day- does this affect parking at all?

Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,775 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in wells

This website might help:

www.mendip.gov.uk/CouncilService.asp…

As to the market issue, not too sure, but whenever I have been the parking is very busy in Wells!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in wells

There's plenty of parking. The town is small, and has parking around the edge of the centre about 10 minutes walk from the market.

Have a look at Google maps, satellite view!

Edited: 14 November 2010, 19:57
UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in wells

On market days (Wednesdays and Saturdays) you will not be able to park in the Market Place ...as the stalls are set up there. But it only gives you half an hour at the most parking there. The perimeter car parks are all only a short walk to the cathedral and market place...and you get to see the city en route.... Possibly the cheapest is the furthest from the centre of the city - at the far end of Tucker street, where it joins the bypass. There is another car park just alongside the bus station (opposite Tesco's) . and the nearest two are one in Whiting Way (until they build the new Waitrose there... but that has gone quiet.... ) and the one in the road behind Somerfields - you have to go up the back via St John Street and/or Southover to get to that one. There is quite a big car park in Union Street, behind the library ... and behind the shops on the High Street.... you can walk through Whitings Hardware store (and down the staircase) from this one, to get to the bottom of the High St. it brings you to the front of Whitings on the high St. opposite the City Arms. . You pay for all of them... unless you count the supermarket car parks... but then you could get clamped in the supermarket car parks ! Most of the on street parking only allows you twenty to thirty minutes at a time. I'm not going to give away the longer free parking spaces.... we locals need them ! You tourists will just have to use the big car parks... so there ! LOL !

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in wells

by the way, Mr Peter Scott.... Wells is not 'a town'... it is known as the smallest CITY in England... ! It has a charter... and a cathedral.... please do not call Wells 'a town'... !

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in wells

I stayed in Wells for two nights in October at a B&B which faced the Cathedral Green. When I arrived in the late afternoon, I parked alongside the Green and in the morning I asked the owner of the B&B if my car needed to be moved during the day (I arrived on Thursday and left on Saturday). She said "oh no, it's signed for 2 hours but they never check."

All I can say is, I didn't get a ticket!

Wells is lovely. Be sure to take a tour of the Cathedral, they're given throughout the day.

6. Re: Parking in wells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2011, 06:16