We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel

3 posts
Save Topic
Travel

What is the nearest train station to Barton-under-Needwood? We are staying at Club Sunterra at Wychnor Park. Do you know anything about it - how nice it is, etc? Also, we need to know the best and cheapest way to get from the train station to the Club Sunterra. My daughter is studying this semester at Harlexton College near Grampton. What is the best route from Barton-under-Needwood to Grampton.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel

The nearest train station to Barton-under-Needwood is Burton-on-Trent, about 7 km. But Wychnor Park is a few kilometres south of Barton, so the closest station to it would be Lichfield Trent Valley, again about 7 km. There is no such place as Grampton. I think you mean Grantham. By train from Burton-on-Trent to Grantham would be 1h 45m, changing trains in Nottingham.

You haven't chosen a terribly convenient location if you plan to regularly travel to Grantham to see your daughter.

Visiting Lichfield while there would be a very good use of one of your days, to see the cathedral, Dr. Johnson's birthplace and the Erasmus Darwin house.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel

Yes, Burton on Trent is the nearest station. Lichfield Trent Valley is quite difficult to get to unless you go via Birmingham, Tamworth is not much further and has a better all round service.

I'm sure you mean Harlaxton College which is near Grantham. Unless you hire a car, train is the only possibility and you would need a taxi from Grantham station, although there are buses - it's about three miles from the station.

Wychnor Park is in an undersung area of quite charming countryside. The village of Alrewas is close and is now the home to the memoriel to the British war dead. It's also a very pretty village with canalside and riverside walks and good pubs.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel

Tamworth station has a Taxi rank as does Lichfield City,as far as I know Burton and Lichfield Trent Valley do not. Wychnor is lovely but you really need a car.I live near Alrewas and it is a lovely village,how you would imagine a typical English village IMO.Lichfield is a lovely city with a fabulous cathedral,just a few miles from Wychnor.Dont know about Grantham but have driven through it many times.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel

Hi janhope; as people are saying, if your daughter is near Grantham, where you are staying is not really convenient at all. Can you cancel and rebook somewhere much closer? Not that popular in UK now but was much lauded in the US, Maggie Thatcher was from Grantham (I think!).

Let us all know if you get "sorted".

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel

As has been said, regrettably your planned stay is not convenient for Grantham one bit.

There are no direct motorways between Burton on Trent and Gratham. If you had a car (or if you travel by taxi) the journey will take at least 1hr 15 minutes each way even though the actual distance is around 50 miles.

The journey is aslo not particularly scenic - as it requires a drive around the cities of Derby and Nottingahm (without seeing the nice bits of both places) and then a long journey across the flat farming parts of Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.

Accomodation that is on the A1 motorway (obviously near to Grantham) would be far more suitable than Burton on Trent.

6. Re: Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Staffordshire
Recent Conversations