We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

County Antrim
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

Hi,

We're hoping to travel over from Northern Ireland by car, probably into Holyhead for a family holiday and would like to visit Alton Towers and Chester Zoo.

We have 2 kids, 4 & 2 and was wondering where would be a central place to stay for them both? I was thinking maybe Stoke on Trent? I see it's about 60mins to Chester and 40min-60mins to Alton Towers.

I would imagine in the centre of Stoke on Trent would be best but could you recommend anywhere, or even recommend somewhere else completely to stay that would be handy for the places to visit.

It will hopefully be a 4 night break and with the new cbeebies opening in Alton Towers we should pass the time ok.

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

Not a lot to recommend the centre of Stoke to be honest. Why not stay a bit closer to Chester?. Lovely countryside, lots of other places to visit as well as the zoo and Chester itself. Also Chester and the surrounding area have the advantage of being very convenient coming from Holyhead.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

If you want to be near one or the other I'd agree with Chesterbuff & go for Chester rather than Stoke. Stoke was suffered more visibly in the economy than Chester & has never really been a "destination" in the same way as Chester.

Otherwise I'd perhaps pick one of the many Cheshire towns & villages between the two.

Given the ages of your children the Home Farm at Tatton Park (near Knutsford) might also appeal:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tatton-park/

and

http://www.tattonpark.org.uk/

This is the main tourism website for Cheshire that may give you more ideas for places to stay & to visit:

http://www.visitchester.com/

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,792 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

You know what they say about Stoke .........the best thing about it is the motorway as it goes straight past. There are much better places to stay than Stoke so as the other posters have commented I'd look elsewhere.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
288 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

I would stay closer to chester somewhere like QHotel Park Royal which is near the motorway so easy to access both quickly.

Nat

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,300 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

Knutsford area would be an option with good transport connections to both and also other options like tatton park or getting the train into Manchester. Or Warrington, more choice of hotels but it's not oil painting of a place!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
288 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

Yes they are good suggestions- fir grove Warrington is nice and cottons knutsford also is.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo

Definitely not centre of Stoke . (Also Avoid Longton which is along the route between the two but a right dump, especially The Crown Hotel)

I'd stay in Chester for plenty to do and see nearby and travel to Alton Towers. Blue planet Aquarium and Cheshire Oaks only minutes from Chester as well as the Zoo. Decent countryside roads along A51 and then A500 to Alton Towers (Or jump onto M6 between J16 -J15 and on to A500).

If prefering motorways, M53, M56, M6 down to J15 and onto A500. More mileage but works out the same time as the other routes, about 1 hr 30.

If wanting to stay half way between the two I'd choose the Premier Inn,Trentham Gardens. Situated in Trentham Retail Village, on the A34,with the garden centre,The Monkey Forest and Trentham Gardens right on the doorstep. Only minutes from M6 Jct 15 and A500 so easy to get to both Chester and Alton Towers from there.

Reply to: Places to stay centrally to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted