We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

Hello!

I posted this in the London forum, but a very nice member suggested I post here.

I need to get to Esher from both Heathrow and Gatwick during my stay. According to other members, public transport can be very cumbersome and long since there are really no direct routes. They suggested a taxi/ car hire, but I wanted to know how much that would cost? I'm on a tight budget so I really need the most cost-effective way to get into town.

Thank you!

UK
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

Here are a couple of online quotes I've been given by local taxi firms:

Gatwick/Esher £40-£45

Heathrow/Esher £20-£25

moo
Sutton, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

Trains run from London Waterloo direct to Esher and the journey takes about 28 minutes.

From Gatwick you can take a Southern train to Clapham Junction, change there and catch the Esher train coming from Waterloo.

For the journey from Heathrow, you can get the tube (underground) to Waterloo then the train.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

From Heathrow you could take the RailAir link to Woking and then a train up to Esher.

Public transport will be cheaper but far slower. So you need to decide what is more important.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

If you want to avoid the joys of central London, then from LHR take the bus to Woking, train to Esher - should be under 90 minutes total travel time

You can book it as one journey as it's a rail-bus service

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,857 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

Must remember to sign in when I post

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

There is a bus from Heathrow which goes via Hampton Court/Kingston. You could get off at Hampton Court and then just get a taxi to your final destination.

7. Re: Getting to Esher from Heathrow and Gatwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 18:21