We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surrey - disabled access

uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Surrey - disabled access

Will be staying near Staines in September - with disabled relative who uses an electric buggy

Can anyone suggest suitable places to go (ie flatish) on good weather - and rainy days. Kew gdns is on our list but struggling for other ideas

thanks

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surrey - disabled access

You might try Savill Garden and Virginia Water, both part of the Royal Landscape.

Disabled access:

theroyallandscape.co.uk/visiting/disabled-ac…

Virginia Water is very flat except near the waterfall, where it gets a bit steep. It has both paved and gravel paths.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surrey - disabled access

I would agree with both of Laura's suggestions. You could also look at Osterley Park up the A30/A4. Richmond Park is only 20-25 minutes away. Kingston has good shopping, both inside and outside, and is of course by the river.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surrey - disabled access

Are you primarily looking for parks/gardens?

Windsor Castle and Hampton Court Palace would also be options. Windsor has done an excellent job of laying out accessibility for the Castle in this link. There are ramps, elevators and wheelchairs available to those who need them.

royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…mobility-access

Here is Hampton Court Palace's info:

hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/…disabledaccess

Edited: 26 July 2012, 21:21
Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surrey - disabled access

I use a powered wheelchair. I always use google maps to centre in on an area - i.e Staines - then type 'attractions' in the search box. Most places will have something about disabled access. If not all it takes is a telephone call if it's somewhere I particularly want to go. Not had any difficulty coming up with lots of places to visit.

This way you can search for things that appeal to you and relative. What others recommend may not be right for you.

Edited: 26 July 2012, 21:59
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,424 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surrey - disabled access

Typing in "attractions" in google maps will yield hotels, restaurants, parks, gardens, with no distinction as to what might be more interesting interesting to you.

Near Staines, 148 items popped up. A little further out, and still not including London, it contained 14,000.

I am not sure that this is the best, or most efficient way to discover accessible places to visit.

Posting a specific request on Tripadvisor forums would more likely provide you with useful information, rather than a phonebook of everything available. And it would be a lot less work.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surrey - disabled access

Yup, those numbers seem about par for the course.

I don't really see what the problem is with sitting at the screen for a while taking a look at what pops up and that appeals to me. It's how I plan all of my hols in the UK, but I also take account of TA reviews as well, although one always needs to read between the lines

uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surrey - disabled access

Thanks for all your suggestions

While googling I also found this web site if anyone is interested -

accessiblecountryside.org.uk/southeast/…

8. Re: Surrey - disabled access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:15