We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

Which Guildford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

I am planning a trip to guildford.

What is the best way?

Fly? train? train is a bit cheaper, but still about £80!

I can get a train from Edinburgh to Guildford, but would have to change at waterloo? kings cross? Is it only 30 mins from waterloo to Guildford?

Will get picked up at Guildford train station

London
Level Contributor
9,701 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

Personally, I'd fly to Gatwick then take the train from Gatwick to Guidford.

Both BA and easyjet serve that route. (BA price includes checked baggage and refreshment - easyjet does not).

If you do decide to use the train you need to cross London. The train from Edinburgh arrives at Kings Cross while the ones to Guildford leave from Waterloo. (In rush hours, there are also some services from Victoria and London Bridge). You need to cross London - the through train tickets allow you to do this by tube, but you could use buses or taxi (at additional cost) if you didn't want to use the tube.

The price (both train or plane) depends how far ahead you are trying to book.

Caterham, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

I've always flown for trips to Scotland- it's a long time on a train, but depends on your thoughts regarding time versus cost.

Alternatively, depending how many are travelling, driving becomes more economical the more of you that travel. It's a long drive, but I'd personally rather do that than go on the train!

London, England
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

Do the stress, time, green and price-check comparison. e.g

Rail?- 7 hours or so by train with changes; seems long,but assuming you get a seat, it's not stressful except for the cross-London tube trip (tricky with luggage). Check Trainline.com for routes avoiding London. Allegedly the green option.

Fly?- The air -rail option; very stressy and time-consuming check-in and airport security (2 hours?) - plus you need to add travel time to the airport, the half hour disembark (or luggage delay), the walk to the train and the hour + rail journey- so is that a real door-to-door time-saver?

But if you're set on flying, try Flybe to Southampton, an hour by train from Guildford (plus the trip from air to rail station). But oh- that carbon footprint!

Drive? Check viamichelin.com for estimated drive-times- I suspect that if there are 2 or more passengers and you rent a decent (comfy) car and enjoy motoring this works out time/cost neutral and is less eco-hostile than flying....

Or hitch, like I used to do- my best time was 12 hours; my worst, 24. And it rained all the way

Edited: 11 August 2011, 01:55
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

There's a Virgin Cross Country train from Edinburgh to Reading, from where it's just half an hour to Guildford on the Gatwick train. It won't be quick, but you can at least avoid London that way, should that be important to you.

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

> Check Trainline.com <

Oh, please don't. www.nationalrail.co.uk will give routes. Buying tickets from trainline will be no cheaper, and may be more expensive, than buying them from the TOCs.

> motoring [...] is less eco-hostile than flying.... <

Figures, please! I think it depends greatly on how many are in each vehicle. Car might be 330g(C)pm, air 90g(C)pm. If you believe in carbon footprints.

Edited: 11 August 2011, 22:23
scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

will be wanting the 'easiest' route, be travelling on my own so won't be taking the car!

scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

if i was to fly down which airport would be the best?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

To quote the first reply

"Personally, I'd fly to Gatwick then take the train from Gatwick to Guidford."

scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

this is going to sound stupid, but is there a train from gatwick airport to guildford? how long will this take?

London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please help with travel from edinburgh - guildford

Look at www.nationalrail.co.uk, it gives you all the routes you could possibly want

Get answers to your questions about Guildford
Recent Conversations