We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

open top bus trip?

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
429 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
open top bus trip?

Hi are there open top bus trips taking in the sights of Newcastle?

If so where do you catch the bus, and can you pay on the bus or would it have to be booked?

We are going for a weekend in May.

Cheers,

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: open top bus trip?

City Sightseeing do one. Map and deatils will be on their web site:

www.city-sightseeing.com

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
429 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: open top bus trip?

Great thanks.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: open top bus trip?

Outside Central Station or on the Quayside will probably be the easiest places to get on - depends where you are staying. You can also get the metro underground system to Central station as well to get you to your start point!

lou73

Mentioned in this post
The Quayside
The Quayside
2,553 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
429 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: open top bus trip?

Hi lou73 thanks for your reply.

We are staying in the Staybridge Suites which I think are on the quayside, so hopefully will get the bus from there.

We are getting the train down from Aberdeen in the morning, hope to dump our stuff and get on the open top bus in the afternoon.

Do you know if we can pay on the bus?

Re the quayside, is that a nice area for going for drinks?

Elaine

Mentioned in this post
Aberdeen
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire, UK
Sunderland
Level Contributor
77 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: open top bus trip?

I believe you can pay on the bus, i've done this bus trip (random as I live there). Its quite good.

The quaysside is the best area for drinking.

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
429 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: open top bus trip?

Thanks Kellyshay

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: open top bus trip?

You could definately pay on the bus a couple of years ago when I took the kids on it - sure you still can - you will be able to pick up a leaflet for it in the station when you arrive which will have the map of its route on, think it goes quite close to your hotel so that should make life a bit easier! Quayside is good for a night out - good range of pubs for all ages, and lots of nice restaurants too, not the same since the boat with the revolving dance floor left - lol!! My mate from aberdeen used to come down on a bank holiday weekend just for that experience!! lol!!

Lou73

aberdeen scotland
Level Contributor
429 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: open top bus trip?

Hi thanks for the info. I remember that boat, I have a cousin in Gateshead who's taken me into Newcastle a couple of times, although not on the boat, what happened to it?

Haven't been since the Quayside has been redeveloped, it sounds like a nice area now.

Noticed in your forums posts you have been to Boniare and Florida. We went to Florida with the kids in Oct, had a fab time, and have also stayed in the Bonaire, we love Majorca, especially Puerto Pollensa.

Cheers Elaine :)

Mentioned in this post
Gateshead
Gateshead
Tyne and Wear, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
The Quayside
The Quayside
2,553 Reviews
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
454 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: open top bus trip?

The boat - the Tuxedo Princess was sold, I think it's somewhere in the pacific now.

If you're interested in tours you would try one of the ones that goes up the Tyne.

riverescapes.co.uk/scheduled-cruises/…

You board just past the Millennium Bridge. I hope you enjoy your stay.

10. Re: open top bus trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2010, 07:15