We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Hello, wondered if someone could advise. We are sailing from North Shields to Amsterdam with DFDS and I'm told by the company that parking is £12 per day. We're away for 10 days so this is a hefty additional charge. Yet I see on their web that parking is £5 per day. This is what shows on their web page.

"Newcastle Ferry Port Parking

There are short and long term car parking facilities outside of the main ferry terminal.

Approximate daily cost is £5 per car and £3 per motorcycle. The Newcastle port car park opens 2 hours before departure."

Anyone able to throw any light on this - or am I looking at the wrong ferry company.

Thanks......Lizzie

Mentioned in this post
DFDS
DFDS
1,440 Reviews
North Shields, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Royal Quays is an outlet centre near the ferry terminal, if you park there you'll get a BIG surprise when you return - assuming one of the locals hasn't decided to "help" you by removing the car before Royal Quays do.

The DFDS carpark is £12 per day according to their website

dfdsseaways.co.uk/customer_service/ports/por…

You might consider parking at Newcastle Airport and taking the Metro to the Central Station then the special bus to the ferry

Mentioned in this post
DFDS
DFDS
1,440 Reviews
North Shields, UK
Newcastle Airport
Newcastle Airport
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Newcastle
Level Contributor
628 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Hi was just passing royal quays , parking is free and if you parked in front of the Premier Inn, they have 24 hour cdtv port gates are only 100 yards away to walk, or drive in first drop cases off and then return to royal quays,

Try going on Google earth and you will get a better picture of the area, and would say the area is safe.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

<<< Hi was just passing royal quays , parking is free >>>

for people using the Outlet centre. Otherwise it won't be very long before the people at Royal Quays - or some of the locals - remove the car.

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Hello, thanks for your info. I wouldn't want to be car-less on our return from Amsterdam.....its a long walk back to Perth!! We'll probably stump up the £12 per day. Its a bit steep though. My fault I should have checked before I booked the Ferry. Thanks again for your advice. Lizzie

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Perth
Perth
Perth and Kinross, UK
Newcastle
Level Contributor
628 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Alanrow

can you back up this statement I have never heard of any car being removed from the Quays,by royal Quays Staff or locals !!!!

West Lothian, by...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Certainly do agree with you that for 10 days the cost for parking becomes quite prohibitive. We have booked for next year and will be in the same position. It is a little ambiguous -mentioning 12 pounds and then 5 pounds unless they do a deal for a longer period. It would discourage some folk from making the ferry trip - all adds on to the holiday budget too. Some years back we had free long stay parking at Hull but I believe that has now changed.

I will try and find out from some official source what indeed the parking fee is for long term.

Loulou

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

You could phone the Premier Inn and ask if they do their deal where if you book one night you can leave your car for the duration of your trip - I know they offer this deal at quite a few airports so they might at the ferry port too.

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

parkatmyhouse.co.uk/car-parks/…

There are probably more people who do this if you have a hunt around too.

Perthshire Scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Friends have kindly offered to drive us down and pick us up again. We'll spend the weekend in Newcastle on our return. But perhaps the Ferry Operator DFDS should take note: its much cheaper to park cars in long stay car parks at airports than at Newcastle Ferry Port! I understand that DFDS don't own the car park at the ferry terminal, but I'm sure they could negotiate a deal for their foot passengers who decide to leave their cars in car parks.

DFDS have decided to stop the passenger ferry from Rosyth (Scotland) to Zeebrugge in December 2010. Any passengers hoping to sail from Scotland to Europe will have to travel to Newcastle adding more travel costs.

I've travelled with Norfolk Line from Rosyth to Zeebrugge - excellent and well patronised line, but since DFDS took the company over, they decided to end the passenger link! They will only take freight.

Sorry to ramble on, but I feel sad that I won't be able to sail along the Fife coast again - go under the Bridges and see the magnificent coast line of the East of Scotland.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Lizzie

Mentioned in this post
DFDS
DFDS
1,440 Reviews
North Shields, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Europe
Europe
World
Norfolk
Norfolk
East Anglia, UK
Fife
Fife
Scotland, UK
UK
Level Contributor
826 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Parking at Royal Quays North Shields

glad you're sorted out ... as Alanrow said, wouldn't fancy leaving my car at Royal Quays for 10 days .. and I am a local! Those parking fees are extortionate ... especially when the ferry fare to Amsterdam is way cheaper! Other than that I would have said the car park at the North Shields Ferry landing and then the bus would have been your best option.

Enjoy your trip :-)

Edited: 05 September 2010, 15:49
Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne