We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours or so in Newcastle

Which Newcastle upon Tyne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours or so in Newcastle

I am accompanying my husband on a business trip at the end of the month. We are booked into the Hilton Gateshead, which looks a handy central location. What is the must see for me (presumably the Baltic) while he is being busy, and where should we eat at night?! We like Brasserie type places and seafood,that sort of thing.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
807 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

Hi

Newcastle is a really compact city and easy to walk around. You are staying on the Gateshead side, so suggst you jump on the yellow bus which will take you into Newcastle City Centre.

Food wise I suggest Cafe 21 on the quayside, just at the back of the Law Courts.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

The Baltic is worth a look around, if only for the view from the balcony at the top. It's exhibitions are usually pretentious tosh, but you never know, each to their own. The Baltic staff just call it "Baltic" so I call it the The Baltic to make up for it.

Depending on what day you are there, there may well be stuff happening in the Sage which is next door.

There are plenty of eating opportunities depending on what you like and how much you are prepared to pay.

The yellow buses will take you around the tourist areas but the Baltic and \the \sage are literally a couple of minutes walk away from the Hilton.

Have fun.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

A river trip from the Quayside might appeal to you, details from www.riverescapes.co.uk and may be booked online.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

Thanks for all of that. Have also seen a restaurant nearby called O de V, does anyone know anything about it? Worth visiting?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
628 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

here,s a link to the local newpaper review never being but looks alright,

chroniclelive.co.uk/entertainment-in-newcast…

Co Durham
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

We ate in O de V in December when it first opened. It was just as the snow hit and we were the only ones in. I can tell you that the food was delicious, the best pate/brioche I've ever tasted. Its a lovely restaurant in a handy area if your staying at the Hilton. Hopefully if you do decide to go there will be a few more people in. I've ready the reviews on here and they are a bit varied but we (myself and husband) both enjoyed it.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

I have just discovered that there is a Fenwicks store in Newcastle, is it easy to reach from the Hilton??

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

Fenwicks is in a pedestrian area, at the southern end of Northumberland Street. I suggest that you take a look at the Google satellite pictures (street view) to get a feel for the area then ask at hotel Reception which would be the best bus to use.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

I believe the quay link yellow buses will take you up near Greys Monument which is near to Fenwicks and Northumberland Street and Eldon Square shopping areas - we got this bus from outside the Baltic one night at an event for Brownies then metro home! If you check nexus website it will give you detailed bus and metro timetables. There are also the Great North Museum and the Discovery museum if you want to spend an hour or two away from retail therapy!

Lou73

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours or so in Newcastle

I believe the quay link yellow buses will take you up near Greys Monument which is near to Fenwicks and Northumberland Street and Eldon Square shopping areas - we got this bus from outside the Baltic one night at an event for Brownies then metro home! If you check nexus website it will give you detailed bus and metro timetables. There are also the Great North Museum and the Discovery museum if you want to spend an hour or two away from retail therapy!

Lou73