We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

First-time visit to this venue.

Looking for some advice.

I have standing and seated tickets for a forthcoming gig.

The seats are in section 218 row U, which, according to the seating plan, are top tier just to the right of the stage.

Since I also have standing tickets I would like to know from local experts which would be best?

I assume the seats would be best but is the view from the top tier to the side of the stage a good view or would it maybe be best to stand and squeeze in close to the stage?

What's the venue like in general? Good atmos and facilities?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

The facilities are okay and the view from the seats is good from the area you mentioned but in my opinion the acoustics and atmosphere generally at the Arena are awful, my least favourite venue in Newcastle by a mile but also the biggest unfortunately so all the major acts play there

Not bad for parking and getting in and out and very close to the town centre so handy for a meal or drink etc.

Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear and I have seen some decent gigs there its just not my cup of tea

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

Thanks a lot for your honest opinion Pablo. Much apreciatted.

Sounds like Glasgow's SECC....which is a horrible venue but is the biggest in the city and therefore get's all the major gigs.

Parking will not be an issue ( letting the train take the strain ! ) but I'm glad to hear it's centrally located. Will certainly be going for food and drink before and after as we are staying over.

Thanks again

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

I haven't been for a few years but as Pablo says the acoustics are not good, it is an ice hockey arena after all.

I always found that if you can stand near the very middle of the ice hockey rink (where they usually put the mixing desk) the sound is OK. Anywhere at the seats at the sides and the sound is terrible.

I saw Van Morrison and Ray Charles there some years ago, Van played the first half and people could wander round, so I moved from my side seat and stood near the mixing desk, the sound was fine. However they demanded everybody sit down before Ray came on, and he wouldn't come on until everybody was seated. I had to return to my seat and the sound was awful. I liken it being at a youth club or school disco but being in the room next door rather than on the floor. I ended up going and sitting in the empty bank of seats right at the far end of the arena, the stage was a speck in the distance but the sound was ok.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

Cheers Doffcocker, you haven't filled me with glee but I am grateful for the advice and honest opinion.

Thanks again.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

Totally agree whith all the comments regarding acoustics and atmosphere of the Arena and yes its the same as Glasgow (but would say I think the SECC is a little worse) and not much better than Manchester Arena.

Been to many concerts at the Arena both seating and standing and I prefer to stand but that's a personal preference and really depends on who Im seeing.

Facilities like all big places are ok. but getting there is easy from town and parking is good.

Wish we could all still see the big bands etc still at the City Hall ;)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

Cheers for that Scotlandscout.

The SEEC is garbage, im glad the Metro Arena isn't quite as bad !

I hark back to the days of the old Apollo, a REAL concert venue.

Thanks

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

Sorry to say advocat, these glorified sheds are all the same soulless places no matter where in the world.

But hey have a few drinks if your so inclined and go and enjoy yourself!

8. Re: Metro Radio Arena......sit or stand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:20