We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to Wallsend

London, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Newcastle to Wallsend

Hi,

I dont know the area at all! My son is doing the Hadrians Wall thing for charity. Apparently the end is Wallsend.

What I have in mind is a surprise to meet them at end of route. He anticipates a 3pm-ish arrival at Wallsend.

I intend hopefully to stay in Travelodge in Newcastle but then have to get to Wallsend. I heard its on metro line.

If someone could confirm that please and if possible give me an idea of frequency of trains etc and what the cost of a ticket would be.

One more question. Is the metro station near the official end of the walk?

Any help etc very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Sutton in Craven
Level Contributor
146 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

The walk will probably end at Segedunum Roman Fort (twmuseums.org.uk/segedunum-roman-fort.html) which is about a 5-10 minute walk from Wallsend Metro Station.

Trains from the city centre are every 10 minutes (Mon-Sat) and the journey time is about 20 mins. Cost is about £3. Trains slightly less frequent on Sunday but still 3 trains an hour.

London, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

Do they have tickets such as travel cards? What's cheapest way of doing a return trip?

Many thanks though for that very very useful info!

Is there any accommodation etc in Wallsend?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

They have day tickets - about £3.50.

As for accommodation, probably but I wouldn't recommend it, it's the sort of place where you have horse-punchers. Stay in Newcastle instead, at least there half the drunks aren't local

London, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

Good advice and i will heed that. Thanks.

Looks like my cheapest way is to buy a day ticket. Thanks again appreciate it.

north east
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

Wallsend is more of a small town with a high street, the end of the Roman Wall and Fort and the former Swan Hunter shipyards than a tourist destination as such. If you carry on to Tynemouth there are a few hotels and b&bs and excellent views of the beaches and North Sea - you would need a 3 zone ticket for this rather than the 2 zone you need to get to Wallsend. Even if you were to go the long way back to Newcastle via the coast you would get to admire the views,

And just for your information, the man who reportedly punched the horse was from Morpeth in Northumberland - a market town about 15 miles away.

Lou73

Sutton in Craven
Level Contributor
146 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

Speaking as someone who was born and raised about a mile from Wallsend I find the "horsepunchers" comment ...entirely impossible to defend! Stay in Newcastle city centre

7. Re: Newcastle to Wallsend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 05:17