We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

I am a tourist from India 65.travelling alone and would like to visit these places by train from London to New castle . I can stay one night in New Castle.Will this be sufficient?Can I get a package trip to Lindisfarne from New Castle.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

Not enough - the three sites are in different directions from each other. And personally I would stay elsewhere for access to Hadrian's Wall & Lindisfarne

If you can get away with a small overnight bag you could take a train to Durham from London, visit the cathedral then travel to Hexham if you want to visit the Wall or Berwick-upon-Tweed if you want to visit Lindisfarne.

For Lindisfarne you would need to check the tide tables to see if Lindisfarne is accessible, returning to Berwick for the train to London and for Hadrian's Wall I would take the AD122 bus from Hexham to Carlisle to return to London

www.lindisfarne.org.uk/general/schedule1.htm

visithadrianswall.co.uk/hadrians-wall-country

You'll need to buy separate train tickets for London to Durham, Durham to Hexham / Berwick & Berwick / Carlisle to London and they are best bought around 10 weeks in advance for the best prices. Avoid a weekend visit as buses and train run less frequently and may make a visit impossible

Mentioned in this post
Hadrian's Wall
Hadrian's Wall
484 Reviews
Carlisle, UK
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
London
London
England, UK
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Berwick-upon-Tweed
Northumberland, UK
Hexham
Hexham
Northumberland, UK
Carlisle
Carlisle
Cumbria, UK
Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

Alanrow thanks.Iam already in London and will have to to visit these places in a few days time before returning home.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
london
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

Hi Ratan ... I tried googling for coach day trips from Newcastle to either Lindisfarne or Hadrians Wall, and didn't have much success ... it might be a good idea for you to ring the Newcastle tourist information to see if they have any information

newcastlegateshead.com/plan-your-visit/touri…

as Alanrow says, you have time for two out of the three things on your "wish list" ... that is, Durham plus one of the others

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
819 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

If you just chose Durham & Lindisfarne,then it possible to do in a day but your not going to get much time in either spot. Arrive Durham early morning, leave lunchtime,Train to Berwick,Lindisfarne in the afternoon,depending on tides

Mentioned in this post
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
Visakhapatnam
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

cazinalulu,

thanks.I have done what you have suggested.IThere is a bus service to Lindisfarne.I have to get there and fine tun

e my trip.Wish me luck!

london
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

certainly I wish you luck, ratan ... I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit ... and congratulations on your discerning choice of such a beautiful area to visit

7. Re: lindisfarne,durham &hadrians wall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:20