We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Jesmond

Cumbria, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Parking in Jesmond

Hi,

I'll be staying overnight in Jesmond on a saturday, and was wondering if there was any parking, free or otherwise, in Jesmond itself where I can leave the car overnight. I understand most of Jesmond is permit parking.

Cheers

Edit: should add, not staying at a hotel or anything like that

Edited: 17 July 2014, 00:58
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,966 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Jesmond

Hi,

I moved out of Jesmond just after they implemented the resident's parking schemes. My recollection is that pretty much all of Jesmond is covered. The restrictions apply to different times of the day or night in different roads. The effect is that you can't park all day anywhere, you have to read the signs. I used to live down near the Dene and Armstrong Bridge and the scheme covered everything between there and Osborne Rd. Pretty sure just about everything between Osborne Rd and the Moor / North Rd was covered as well You can park on parts of Osborne Rd except during morning and evening rush hour. There are other roads around Jesmond where you can park at night but not at specific periods during the day. There is a car park in front of the Metro Station / Lonsdale and alongside the metro line in Lyndhurst Rd that always used to be pretty empty at night even though it was full during the day, I think they put meters there but the meters may only apply to working hours.

As you are not staying 'a hotel or anything like that' you are presumably are staying with friends, who also presumably do not have a visitor permit, but they should know where the nearest overnight parking is, you might just have to move the car from one area to another if you arrive before the daytime restrictions expire

Newcastle upon...
Destination Expert
for Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Jesmond

The car park that DC mentions outside west jesmond metro has now gone and is waiting time bays only (waiting for someone getting off the metro) the bays along the side of the metro that are mentioned are during the day 4 hours only, not sure about the night time. Osbourne Road away from the Bars and restaurant section which is residential, I don't know how to describe it, but where Lonsdale Road comes out, that section, has no restrictions and now the students have left there are usually spaces

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,966 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Jesmond

My Doctor's surgery is on that stretch of Osborne Rd, it is one of the stretches that I was referring to, I park there when I'm back in the UK and need to go to the surgery, that parking area runs from around Lyndhurst Ave to near North Jesmond Ave and is on both sides of the road.

There is another stretch round the double bend heading towards town that I use if I want to go to Acorn Rd, it is on the opposite side of the road to St Georges's church, and runs from near the bend where Osborne Rd meets St George's Terrace on the stretch to the Cairn Hotel just before Acorn Rd. I think this section may be restricted at rush hour.

My dentist is also on Osborne Rd and you can park outside it except at rush hour, that stretch is on the town side of the bars and restaurants and runs from around Lily Ave towards Holly Ave, again just on one side of the road

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Jesmond

One note (just moved from Jesmond) is that the parking wardens in Jesmond are very strict and do check. When I left my flat at 7.55am to go to work they were there ready to give tickets at 8am for people with no permits so if thought you would risk it...don't!!

5. Re: Parking in Jesmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Newcastle upon Tyne