We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming this weekend (October 26th)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Coming this weekend (October 26th)

We are coming to Stratford on Friday night and are spending 2 nights at the Shakespeare hotel. I have done my searches on here and decided on Lambs for dinner on Friday night , Saturday touring Stratford and the houses on the bus tour , pre-theatre meal at Sorrentos and have booked tickets for Henry V on Saturday night. Does that sound OK? Any suggestions to which house we should go to first to avoid the rush? I know it's half term and will be fairly busy - I would quite like to avoid the queues if poss.

On Sunday we intend to go to Warwick castle then back to London in th evening -please comment on my itinery!

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

It sounds pretty good to me!

Bear in mind that we have the Runaway Mop funfair in the streets on Friday night, so it will be very lively. Lambs is a good choice as Sheep St is not affected, but be sure to book as soon as you can. The fair will have disappeared by Saturday morning.

The Birthplace is always by far the busiest house, so get there at opening time (10am). If you like walking, remember that you can reach Anne Hathaway's on foot in less than 20 min.

It'll be interesting to read what you think of the Shakespeare in view of the change of ownership.

Everything else sounds perfect. Have fun!

David

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

Thanks Dave will go there first - do you know anything about the Shakespearience? Anyone done it?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

Your itinerary sounds fine, EnglishRose, and you have had some good advice from Lovely Dave. I had forgotten that it is the Mop Fair at the weekend - some of the streets are closed off, so if the hotel has not given you details it may be a good idea to contact them for directions.

I have heard that the food at Warwick Castle is not too good, so I would suggest that you eat in the town centre (you can get your hand stamped to get back into the castle). There are lots of restaurants and pubs to choose from, but I can recommend The Keep on Castle Street, The Art Kitchen (Thai food) on Swan Street and Piccolinos (Italian) on Smith Street. The Rose and Crown pub in the market place is also good.

Also, I would suggest parking in The Stables car park at the castle if you can as it is closer to the town centre than the main car park off the Stratford Road.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

Thanks Trish- what exactly is the Mop Fair? Is it a funfair for children or is it for adults too?

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

The Mop Fair is a street funfair (for adults and children, but mainly attracting teenagers) usually run on October 11th and 12th and taking up much of Bridge Street, High Street, Wood Street, the Market Place and Greenhill Street. The Runaway Mop is a slightly smaller street fair held exactly 2 weeks later.

The original Mop was a hiring fair for servants, and the Runaway Mop a second chance for those who didn't take to their new masters.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,188 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

Thanks Dave- what a good forum, lots of info and helpful people.

I will certainly add my small contribution when I return.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

I've also booked tickets to see Henry V but on the 3rd November so I am interested to see what you thought of it, as well as your pre-theatre meal!

Thanks!

8. Re: Coming this weekend (October 26th)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 11:19
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon