We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

hello all; we are a canadian family of four who will be in stratfrod upon avon in april. on saturday april 18 we plan to take in the aston villa game in birmingham . as we will be leaving stratford at that time we will have our luggage with us.do the stations have luggage lockers? we will have a britrail pass so we will be travelling by train. after the game we want to leave birmingham and travel to bath. how long will this take and what stations do we use? thanks guys...the cabinman

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Hi

It is possible, however it won't be that straightforward!!

The train from Stratford to Birmingham arrives at Birmingham Snow Hill Station - where there are no lockers (I think)

However the train from Birmingham to Bath Spa leaves from Birmingham New Street(the main station) where there is a left luggage facility (not lockers). http://www.excess-baggage.com/contact.php

So you would need to leave your luggage at Birmingham New Street - this is walkable from Snow Hill but with luggage you may want to take a taxi (not far at all)

There is a train to Witton Staion (near to Villa Park - football stadium) this conveniently goes from Birmingham New Street!!(only 7 mins train ride)

For the train from Birmingham New Street to Bath Spa, you need to change at Bristol (Temple Meads) - should take total of 2 hours - they are quite regular..

One note though...Please be aware that train journeys to - from football matches on a Saturday are not erm....peaceful so keep your wits about you..

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

thanks del; thanks for the advice..it was giving me a headache just reading it. as it turns out the shakepeare company is off that week except for saurday april 18 and my wife MUST see a play..so we will be returning to stratford instead. could you take me through that journey step by step again. also how bad would the behaviour be on the train? we are canadians with no allegience to any rival football club,I am 6ft tall 200 lbs,my two sons are over 160 lbs ..my wife is short..but can swear like a sailor..how bad can it be??? the cabinman

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
49 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Take the train from Stratford Upon Avon to Birmingham Snow Hill.....

You would then need to either get a taxi to the ground or walk to Birmingham New Street and take the train to Witton.

I would guess that it would be easier to take a taxi to the ground - Birmingham New Street station on match day can be a little tasty. The match is versus West Ham and their fans would all be arriving at Birmingham New Street - from London..(they can have an unsavoury side to their support!!)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

hey del; tanks for the advice..we will take a cab to the grounds instead of mixing it up with those unsavoury west ham fans. after the game what should we do to get back to the trai station. we have been to a couple prem games and finding a cab is impossibe after the game.what we did after a everton game in liverpool was just start walking and in about halfan hour with the crowds thinning out we were able to find a cab.is this what we should do and if so what direction should we go. also is the area safe enough..I know we can't always rely on my wife's ability to outswear most men to protect us..how long is the train ride to and from stratford upon avon? advice please...the cabinman

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Think there are some slight exagerations regarding trains and train stations dealing with football fans. Yes fans can make some noise but there are usually enough police around to stop anything else happen. I follow my team too (which happen to be the best team in the city by the way lol) and use trains fairly often and I have seen very little trouble.

There is another alternative and that is to catch a bus to villa park and back again after the game back into the city. There are also special buses put on after the game to help you get away from the ground

travelinemidlands.co.uk/JourneyPlanner.jsp…

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

I would always take the bus to Villa Park in preference to the train. The station is very small and not really designed for matchday crowds.

Since there are four of you, a taxi from the City Centre would be quite cost-effective, and you could order a return trip via the driver.

Do you have tickets yet? If not, try to choose central seats in the Trinity stand, or Upper Doug Ellis.

The Hammers always give us a good game, so I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

hello lovely dave and carl; thanks for the info..we have not yet purchased tickets..I am waiting for the tickets to on sale to the general public.I am assuming that the game against west ham won't be a sellout to members ..so we should be ok???I see that the villians are doing very well so far this season... I really hope that they continue to challenge hard. I actually am a soccer coach in canada and coach with a fellow who was invited to try out for the villa youth team exactly when his family moved to canada...he was not a happy teenager..back then..anyway thanks a bunch and take care...the cabinman

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Hi Cabinman. It shouldn't be a sell out, but try to get your tickets as soon as they go on general sale, as you don't want to be right at the top. Go for the Trinity stand - it's new, comfortable, good facilities.

Villa Park has a great matchday atmosphere and is very family-friendly these days.

If we're still 5th by then, everyone will be happy. Lower down will be a big disappointment - 6th yet again is no progress. To get 4th and into the Champions League is the big dream but I think that would need Mr Lerner to show much deeper pockets.

Let me know if you need any Stratford-on-Avon advice.

Up the Villa!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
554 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

thanks again lovely one; yes i will be keeping an eye on the villa website to see when the west ham tickets go on sale. as a matter of fact could you recommend a hotel,b&b or self catered apartment that is walking distance to the train station and globe theater. we need clean and no carpets in the bathroom.any thoughts?...the cabinman

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
466 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stratford to aston villa to bath with luggage

Hi Cabinman, the Emsley is next to the station, as is the Victoria Hotel. Another recommended B&B is Broadlands, 5min away.

I'm with you on the bathroom carpets thing - it's unlikely, but you'll have to check on that when you book.