We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stratford upon avon from London

Mumbai
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Topic
stratford upon avon from London

Dear Sirs

We are arriving Heathrow airport on 1st Nov at 07.00 Am and will take a car and go to Leeds via Stratford upon avon. We would like to spend 3-4 hrs at Stratford

I have a 16 yr old daughter and 10 yr old nephew.

Could you please tell me

a) approx driving time to stratford from heathrow (london) airport

b) what is the best way to spend 3-4 hrs at Stratford. Is a walking tour a good idea ???

c) Where to park our car ??

Thnks in advance

Rgds Manish

Mentioned in this post
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Oxford to Warwick Castle and...
1 Review
from US$61.30*
City Sightseeing Stratford-upon-Avon...
39 Reviews
from US$20.70*
Special Offer
Oxford, Warwick Castle...
352 Reviews
from US$127.00*
US$141.10
Likely To Sell Out
Oxford, Cotswolds...
90 Reviews
from US$206.70*
Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stratford upon avon from London

Hi,

You should allow 2 hours for the drive - it may take a little less to get here on a Sunday, however the roads will be very busy for your return journey towards London, and you should allow a little more on the way back.

Park your car in the Bridgefoot Car Park in the town centre (near the River). No point messing about with Park and Ride since your time is so limited.

I suggest that the best plan for your visit would be to walk up to and visit the Birthplace in Wood St, and then walk the "historic spine" to Holy Trinity Church, adding any extra attractions that your time, your interests, and the weather allow.

Good Luck!

Mentioned in this post
Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity Church
1,684 Reviews
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Mumbai
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: stratford upon avon from London

Dear Lovelydale

Many thnks for the info. Do you think we would have time to see all the 5 shakespeare houses ?? Is it worth booking online ???

Rgds Manish

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stratford upon avon from London

I don't think you'll have enough time to see all 5 Shakespeare houses/sites in only 3 or 4 hours. If you ride the hop-on, hop-off, you might have time to do a couple of the sites, perhaps 3 if you rush through. Last December, I had an afternoon, saw Anne Hathaway's cottage and Shakespeare's birthplace. I also did a little shopping at the Lakeland store, then it was off to catch the train back to London. If you want to do a walking tour, then probably seeing the Birthplace, etc. as lovelydave proposed is a good idea.

Since you have youngsters, I think you may want to include the birthplace and Mary Arden's house. I didn't get to visit the Arden house, but from what I've heard, it's a good place for the children.

I've found this to be a helpful website: www.visit-stratford.co.uk/contentok.php?id=34

4. Re: stratford upon avon from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon