We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

I am so perplexed figuring out where to base ourselves to tour the Cotswolds. We will be relying mainly on public transport. We are entertaining the thought of hiring a car though. There are 2 families travelling with 2 kids ages 10 and 12.

This is a special trip and we wanted to spend the night in luxurious accomodations. Any recommendations? Castle? Beautiful (yet refurbished) manor? Interesting farm house?

We're open to Chipping Campden, Stratford-Upon-Avon, The Slaughters, etc...We are v.interested in taking in the scenery of thatched cottages, quaint villages, etc.. Even better if we can see these on foot.

We will be coming in from London then moving on to Gloucester this May/June. We'll be in this location for abt 3-4 days.

Thank youin advance for your help!

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
388 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

It's great that you are considering using public transport to tour the region rather than use a car on our overcrowded roads. But it does require a little thought and research in the Cotswolds as buses don't go everywhere.

I'd recommend you look at the websites www.transportdirect.info and www.travelinemidlands.co.uk for help. Details of the bus routes in southern Warwickshire (the northern Cotswolds), including a map, can be found at

warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/… The equivalent details for Oxfordshire can be found at www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/.and Gloucsestershire at www.gloucestershire.gov.uk

I recommend that you take a train to Moreton in Marsh, and then the number 22 bus to Stratford via Chipping Campden. This is a very scenic route. There are several hotels in Moreton, and you can also do some very pleasant walks in the area between here and Chipping Campden.

From Stratford you can get a number 21 bus to Broadway, (which is always a popular place with tourists), and from there a number 606 bus to Cheltenham - again a very scenic route. From Cheltenham I think you'll find that there is a wide choice of buses to Gloucester.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 23:08
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Hi JVBKenilworth,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed and informational reply. I was taking fast and furious notes which! Good to know that the bus routes are scenic ones. Thanks for the links and bus numbers too.

I did more research today and fell in love with this tiny inn in Bourton-on-the-Hill. We emailed and are hoping they'll hv availability. The property is about 1-2 miles from MIM so we can take the train in from London. Just awaiting to hear how they recommend we get to them. They say there's ample to see and do on foot. They say it's also easy to get to C. Campden, SUA, etc..

I appreciate you telling me we can take the bus to Gloucester. I was thinking that we'd hv to hire a car to get there.

Is the traffic all that bad in the Cotswolds? We hv an 8:55am flt from Heathrow to Brussels on June 6th. We'd rather spend our last night in Bath. So that means we'll hv to wake up at 4-5am to get a taxi/bus/pte car to LHR. Hopefully the traffic won't hold us up! It is a Sunday though so it shouldn't, right?

Thank you so much again. You've been most helpful.

B

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Is the traffic in the Cotszwolds "that bad"? No - and it's just silly to call our roads "overcrowded". Britain's trunk road system is overcrowded: the whole point of the Cotswolds is that our roads aren't. HOWEVER, if you've got a room in a pub at the top of a hill on the Cotswolds' major road (which is where the Horse & Groom is), you really need to be sure you're happy with the noise level outside. Lorries in low gear at 4 am aren't everyone's idea of rural bliss

Before committing yourself to depending on public transport in a hotel in the middle of nowhere, you really need to check accessibilty for yourself, and not rely on pub owners who've probably never been inside a bus since they were at school. Full public transport details for the immediate area are at cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/userfiles/file/Transpor…

For the whole Cotswolds area: www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/?page=gettinghere.

Though I live in the area, and rarely use a car, I'd never dream of dragging two children to Bourton for four days and expect to get round by public transport. Do you really want to eat in the pub every night, for example? (the last bus from Chipping Campden leaves at 1830, - and no-one serves supper in time for you to catch it) Though the paths around Bourton are glorious, and easy even for the couch potatoiest child, the walk across the fields from Moreton after the last bus really aren't suitable for tired kids, there aren't taxi ranks, and there are very few taxis, so it's quite possible they'revall off to Hearthrow or Birmingham airports when you want to get home. For grownups: just have a couple more pints while you're waiting - but will your children be pleased?

Before doing anything, you need to get your strategy thought through properly. Basing yourself in Chipping Campden, or Moreton, public transport might be feasible - though only somewhere within half a mile of their bus stops. In outlying villages, with children - a recipe for horror.

"Inn" in English, BTW, means pub. It's not a twee adman's invention meaning plastic hotel. Country pubs are fine for children - we think. Not all Americans are as relaxed as we are about 10 yos spending the evening in a public bar. Neither are most British pub owners.

Warwickshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

I must say I agree with flanner. Touring and public transport don't really go together in Britain IMO. I'm all for using public transport, but as said, buses don't really tend to run very often in rural areas after normal working hours, and I wouldn't rely on the last bus showing up on time, if it shows up at all!

In the long run, it will probably work out cheaper to hire a car anyway, and it maximises your flexibility of seeing the 'quaint' areas which probably aren't served by bus routes anyway.

As for the stratford area, ettington park hotel is an amazing place, with fantastic grounds and a nice village nearby. Obviously depends on your budget though.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Hi,

You'll hardly see another vehicle at that time on a Sunday morning. In June, the traffic isn't too bad at any time of day - it's during the school holidays in July and August that it can suddenly snarl up.

The alternative approach would be to rent an MPV type vehicle (these are often 6 or 7 seaters). This gives you the freedom to base yourself wherever you wish, and to explore this beautiful area properly.

This will also probably prove much more economical since our bus and train fares are very high.

6. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 21:04
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Flanner and Steve,

Thank you both for being the voices of reason. You both make a lot of sense. I am constantly workingand researching. I know wht we want I just can't get to all to gel.

As luck would hv it, the Horse and Groom ( how astute of you, Flanner!) is fully bk'd. So it's back to the drawing board. We don't mind hiring a car if need be. We wanted to go as far without one first.

I am hvg no luck with a place to stay. It's not so much the budget (This is a special trip so we don't mind splurging) it's the place. The Horse and Groom seemed "newer'. Just don't like the feel of old and tatty! Sorry. :) The "experience" at the H&G seemed interesting for all in our party -- or so I thought. I wasn't thinking of the pub experience (!) but the farm and beautiful Burton experience.

If ANYONE can gv me some recommendations on "newer"/refurbished hotels/b&b's in a good located town, I'd grab it. It's finding a suitable place with a good location. We still need to take the train in and out. Or maybe the bus out to Gloucester after the Cotswolds. I think the main trains from London go to MIM and SUA without a change. Maybe we can do neighbouring towns and rent the car from somewhere near a train station.

Would the Slaughters be a good location? I think that MIM or Chipping Campden would be the most ideal. Maybe another place in Burton...Snowshill?? ( Steve, I was just abt to book Ettington Park two nights ago and stumbled upon the fact that it s V.haunted. Silly of me to say but I'm terrified of things like that so that's whn I started back on my researching other hotels/villages!).

Back to researching.....

Thank you both again.

8. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 21:04
Warwickshire
Level Contributor
77 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

Oh yes, ettington probably isn't the best idea if you don't lime a few ghosts n ghouls!

Moreton in marsh would be a good base, and is served by a train station. Quite a few restaurants and things there. There is a few hotel/inns on the high street. The manor house hotel always looks nice and seems fairly popular. Never stayed there though.

Stow on the wold is nice too, although you would need to get a bus/taxi from the train at MIM.

Stratford-on-Avon,En...
Level Contributor
92 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travellg by train. SUA/C.Campden/?? a gd base?

I agree with last post - Moreton in Marsh is ideally situated for Stratford, Chipping Campden, Bourton and Stow. There is a lovely rare breeds farm at Guiting Power which our kids used to love when they were younger which is not far away.

We went to a wedding a couple of years ago at the Manor House in the High Street. Lovely place, very olde worlde and the food was excellent. I don't think it is haunted there...

Edited: 12 April 2010, 21:35
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon