We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

I have a friend who runs tourist company for youth groups. She is looking for suggestions for good fish and chips in Stratford upon Avon. She is looking for two options, one indoor in case it is raining and a good takeaway with a nearby park / benches or other suitable area nearby to eat them.

As these are groups age from 12 - 18 would some of the larger pub chains be suitable? I have no idea what restrictions pubs have on children in England.

What can you suggest? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

We always go to the Kingfisher fish and chip shop on Ely Street. They do takeaway fish and chips, and they also have a cafe down the little alleyway at the side. It's only a small cafe, so if the group is large it would be wise to contact them beforehand.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

Trish is spot on. The Kingfisher is by far the best place for fish and chips.

There is no certain answer to your question about pubs. I think the best way to put it is that if a pub makes its living from serving food (and most in Stratford are in that category), then it will definitely welcome kids. The usual etiquette is to check if you're not sure, and choose seating away from the bar.

I have taken half a dozen small kids to eat at the Pen and Parchment (Bridgefoot), and the Red Lion next door. In most pubs the system is that an adult should order the food and drink at the bar, and carry the drinks to the table. The food will be brought to you.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

"It's only a small cafe, so if the group is large it would be wise to contact them beforehand."

Ah, sorry, yes. About 38 under 18 and 7 staff and drivers. So it is a large group.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

You may still fit - however with a group that size, I think you will need to make advance arrangements whereever you eat to forewarn the kitchen and avoid big waits. Even if you're getting a take-out.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

Many thanks, the group visited The Kingfisher and the Polish teenagers said "enjoyed a delicious fish & chips".

Thanks for your advice.

Warwick, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

poor poor poor left with no food after 12 min queue. full of school kids no food cooked or available. the young blonde that works there just shrugs her shoulders at your questions. if ur over the age of 14 and only want chips this is fine for you. if you actually want fish or any other order steer well clear. the blonde lost this company more than she earns a day with lost custom with her shocking attitude. left with no food to greenhill street chippy where my order wasnt ready but could be cooked for a 5 min wait. they had my £ 67.80 order instead and will do every week in the future. poor poor service loses customers. are you reading blondie???

7. Re: Fish and Chips in Stratford upon Avon - Youth Group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 05:30
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon