We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Which Stratford-upon-Avon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Hello,

We've previously received wonderful suggestions filling in the blanks on trips we were planning - would greatly appreciate member advice on our next one.

We will be going to the World Shakespeare Festival in May 2012. We have 4 shows that we will see in Stratford-upon-Avon. Show schedule is below. There are days in between that are open. Would love advice for what to do.

Also, we are pondering renting a car while we're there - so if that's the case (and PLEASE let us know if you think it's worthwhile or not) we could potentially drive to nearby towns/cities... though I admit not knowing what's outside of Stratford. If we'd find enough to do in town, then we may not rent a car to save $.

We are renting a small flat while we're there since it's more cost effective and can just hit the food store for meals.

Show schedule:

Friday, May 4th - arrive

Saturday, May 5th - open day; evening show

Sunday, May 6th - open day/night

Monday, May 7th -open day; evening show

Tuesday, May 8th - open day/night

Wednesday, May 9th - open day; evening show

Thursday, May 10th - open day; evening show

Friday, May 11th - depart

Thank you again in advance!

Val and Chris

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Hi both

There is a lot to do here in Stratford. I would definitely recommend hiring a car as the public transport is a little slow and sparse!!

Warwick Castle is definitely worth a visit. It is only 10 minutes from Stratford but it is a great day out.

I would also recommend driving out into the Cotswolds - I can suggest a couple of routes if you are interested. Beautiful villages and wonderful countryside.

It would help to know your main interests and passions really so I can suggest other things to do.

Hope this helps :-)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Oh, you're wonderful. Thank you so much.

We love beautiful landscapes, castles, villages, history, art, local crafts, music and culture so please share your suggested routes/adventures!!! We're big fans of off the beaten path excursions.

Thank you again!

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Hi again

I will try to do a route plan but just in case I don't, here are some places I think you may like to see.

Definitely Warwick Castle - search online and you should find 2 for 1 entry vouchers.

Bourton on the Water is a beautiful village - see this link for more info

cotswolds.info/places/bourton-on-the-water.s…

Broadway is lovely and if you go to the top of the hill at Broadway Tower you will some of England's most beautiful views

http://www.broadwaytower.co.uk/

In Stratford itself, take a walk down to Holy Trinity Church, our impressive church where William Shakespeare's grave is.

http://www.stratford-upon-avon.org/

Stratford Butterfly Farm is just a short walk across the river - a good way to spend a couple of hours if it is a cold day!

www.butterflyfarm.co.uk/attraction/index.php

If you want to go a little further, in under an hour you can be in Oxford - a really beautiful historic city with the world famous Oxford University.

I will probably post some more suggestions but if you want anything specific just shout! I love it here.

Solihull
Level Contributor
3,809 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

If you like castles then Kenilworth Castle is also worth a visit (it is near Warwick)

Much of is ruin, but it is a huge castle and well worth seeing. Elizabeth the 1st visited there once.

I would also suggest Oxford, full of history, art, old buildings, Bodleian library etc.

Very near Oxford is Blenheim Palace, a HUGE house built by the Duke of Malborough (I think it took about 30 years to build). Winston Churchill was born there.

http://www.blenheimpalace.com/

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

If you like "off the beaten path" then head west for a day to the Welsh Borders in your car. Stratford and Warwick are famous for a reason - but as a result there's plenty of tourists there.

Herefordshire and Shropshire are much, much quieter and perhaps even more beautiful. If you want to get a taste of "Old England", I'd recommend you give these counties a try. Ludlow is a good place to start your day's tour.

Mike

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Thank you SO much for the great suggestions! I already started looking up some of them online and wow...

I'm building up my photography portfolio, so sounds like I'll have many photo ops. If you know of any other areas with interesting landscapes, architectural details, etc, to shoot, then do please let me know! And of course, any more brilliant suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!!

Val and Chris

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Sorry -did actually have one quick question....

We would LOVE to tour Oxford - I have always wanted to see it. But would we be considered intrusive at all; it being a university community? I guess we just don't know how accessible the university and town are, especially to foreigners...

Any insight would be great - we just don't want to intrude.

Thank you!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

I really wouldn't worry - Oxford isn't exactly undiscovered.

oxfordlight.co.uk/oxford/…

That's not to say you shouldn't go there of course - but just be aware it can be busy.

Mike

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Thank you. That's a very handy website - gives me some photography ideas too.

Luckily we'll be there early May, so hopefully it won't be too packed yet.

Thanks again!

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for Stratford-upon-Avon trip... fill in the blanks

Ha! TA saves your time!!!

So,are you renting a car or looking for train / bus routes or just getting suggestions at this time? I like many of the suggestions, and you could do it or most of it by train / bus.

I would still suggest you do your own research, as you know what you want. Then ask questions about getting from one place or another.

Happy planning!

Edited: 02 November 2011, 00:31
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon