We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Newcastle, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

I live short-term in Newcastle. I plan to visit both Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon over the 3 day-bank holiday from 5 to 7 May 2012.

I am shocked to find out that although Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon are very close to each other (compared with their distances from Newcastle), the time for travelling between them on train takes even longer than when I travel from Newcastle. I thought a day trip from Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon or vice verse was possible, but it does not seem to be the case.

Would everyone be kind as to let me what will be the best transportation plan?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Hire a car

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Probably the easiest way between Stratford on Avon andCcambridge is to get a train from Stratford to Bicester North then get the X5 bus (every half hour) from the end of the station approach road to Cambridge. It will take a bit over 4 hours in total though - much the same as the train

It's not day trip material

Kenilworth
Level Contributor
388 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Unfortunately travelling between Cambridge and Stratford is one of the most awkward trips by public transport in the country. I'd normally encourage people to use public transport if possible, but in this case travel by car is much easier. I've done the journey many times, and it usually takes about 2.5 hours via the A14. Bear in mind though that bank holidays aren't the best time of the year to travel, as everywhere will be busy, so however you travel it may take longer than usual.

Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Train from Cambridge to Birmingham New St. Short walk to Birmingham Moor St. Train to Stratford-upon-Avon.

Not too awkward, but unfortunately rather slow.

Newcastle, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

Thanks all of you for your invaluable comments.

6. Re: Transportation between Cambridge and Stratford-upon-Avon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon