We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Hi. My wife & son (10yrs) are planning to fly into Birmingham and then stay at Stratford upon Avon for about a week. I need suggestions on how to get to Center Parc - Elveden forest from there given that we will have 3 heavy/large suitcases and a couple of handbags. After a week there, we head back to London and would again appreciate suggestions on the best way to get there.

Ideally, we'd not like to lug our bags around too much. Also, I am not very comfortable renting a car and driving down to these locations.

Thanks in advance.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 17:20
Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Renting a car is your only realistic option - you may find you want one to get out and about, especially at Elveden which is fairly isolated. The nearest station is Bury St Edmunds thirteen miles away and it takes about six hours with three changes of train from Stratford.

Warwick
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

I appreciate your comment about renting a car but it is a good suggestion. Stratford is at the end of a train branch line and getting across country is both time consuming and involves lots of train changes and probably a taxi or two.

There is a hertz office at Stratford station and they do one way hires, so you can collect from there and drop off at another Hertz office when you have finished.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Thanks guys. So I better brush up my driving skills!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Sorry. Just an add on question : where can I get information about renting a car with a driver (ie a taxi) for traveling from S-upon-A to Elveden? And any clue on how much it would cost, even approximately. Thx again

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

S-upon-A to Elveden is about 130 miles (one way). At Hackney Carriage rates that's about £2 a mile or £260 but the driver might well charge more as he won't get a hire for the return journey. S-upon-A Private Hire (minicab) fees, and Hackney Carriage (taxi) fares outside the council area, are unregulated so it's down to negotiation with the driver.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

a quick google found a cab firm with £160 Stratford to Gatwick which is almost the same distance

7. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 December 2015, 13:21
Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
468 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

Not having a car may disadvantage you when arriving at Center Parcs, as the whole place is geared up for families arriving in cars.

On arrival you queue up (sometimes for an hour or more) in your car to book in. Then, if it is ready, you are allowed to drive to your accommodation (this may take another half hour because of roads being blocked etc.), where you are allowed to park your car while unloading. You then return the car to the car park and go back to your accommodation on foot or hire a bike.

You will also not be easily able to adopt the tactic of arriving early, and using the facilities before moving into your accommodation later in the day, since while I'm sure they will store your luggage, I'm not so sure that they will assist you to transport it out to your lodge later on. You could ask.

While using a taxi might have the advantage of not having to return to the car park, you will need to factor in the additional cost of using the taxi during the rather lengthy arrival process, and think about the logistics. If you use a taxi, perhaps call Center Parcs and ask them to suggest an arrival time when queues are least.

9. Re: Routing suggestions for a familly with heavy luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon