We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

Oak Lawn, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

From what I understand public transportation from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon is not very good, so unless someone can suggest a better idea we will rent a car to travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon. We will be staying there just for one night and then on to London. Should we keep the car to drive ourselves to London?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

It seems like you are asking about a fragment of a larger vacation plan. I think you might get more helpful answers if you gave us your entire itinerary, including dates.

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

I live in Stratford Upon Avon and always take the train if I'm going to central London, it's a direct service to London Marylebone. Driving in central London is a bit of a nightmare, particularly if you are going to enter the Congestion Zone during Monday to Friday 7:00 till 18:00, where the cameras will pick your car registration up and you have to pay a charge.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

The rail journey from Bath to S-o-A seems to be over 3 hours, a pain but there is no direct train connection. It should be possible to hire a car in Bath and drop it off at S-o-A and then take the train to London.

To a certain extent it depends on whether you want to see anything between S-o-A and London - you could always drop the car off at Heathrow if you do.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

The rail journey from Bath to S-o-A seems to be over 3 hours, a pain but there is no direct train connection

======

Looks like a complete pain I agree, BUT i suspect that once you have faffed about getting to car rental, driving to SuA, finding somewhere to park, and then returning the car, elapsed time wont be any better. I'd just bite the bullet and take a train. Even if you save say 1 hour, which is the best you'd do, is it worth the hassle.

5. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 14:03
6. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 14:03
Stratford-Upon-Avon...
Destination Expert
for Stratford-upon-Avon
Level Contributor
469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

Enterprise also have an office in Stratford. The Hertz office is at the railway station.

Oak Lawn, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

We are flying into Heathrow taking a train to Bath for three nights then to Stratford on Avon for a night then to London for three nights before flying home. The only transport that we know definitively s the train to Bath, after that any suggestion would be appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,039 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

How about Stratford upon Avon as a day trip from London?

Check Chiltern Railways for times and fares.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/

10. Re: Travel from Bath to Stratford-upon-Avon and then onto London

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Stratford-upon-Avon